Pellets for hermanns

phoebes15

Location (City and/or State)
hull
Hi I have a quick question does any one give there baby hermanns tortoises pellets ?

I would love all the answers you can come up with and I have put a photo in of Rio xx

Attachments

• 20240725_164808.jpg
    20240725_164808.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma
Welcome! Cute tort. There are several pellets on the market.. I give my torts mazuri original 5m21 and rep cal tortoise diet 2-3 times a week.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A combination of any of the pellets, except those with fruit is fine to feed to a wide variety diet. Shouldn't be just pellets.
Also, hay should not be fed to your tort or used as a substrate. The enclosure also looks very dry as far as the substrate goes.

Last edited:

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Rio is adorable🥰

Hopefully the information in your previous thread helps making amendments where needed, your substrate appears to be a sandy looking top soil? It’s looks very dry.

Hay is also not a good choice, whilst hay&grasses are mixed in with some pellets, it’s to offer a larger plant variety, there’s lots of other weeds that go into them.

But ultimately hermans are not grass eaters, a baby eating some long strands like this could potentially block them up. It’s also prone to moulding in the high humidity environments hatchlings need. I’d remove it.

I’ve ordered some of these recently and look forward to seeing if our tortoise likes them, the variety looks pretty good🙂

Soak them for 5 minutes in water until nice and soft👍