People Food?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SebastianTheGirl

5 Year Member
I'm not sure if this should be here or in the health forum, but I was wondering is "people food" okay for turtles? I'm NOT talking junk food or anything, I'm talking about chicken and other meats made for Human consumption. I've seen videos and have heard of people feeding their turtle chicken, shrimp, etc, but is this really okay?

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
I feed my box turtles "people food." Fruit, veggies, turkey, chicken, boiled eggs ... etc.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I make scrambled eggs (in a little bit of water) and I add veggies, and mushrooms. The box turtles love this and so do the Cherry Heads.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think SebastianTheGirl is talking about water turtles. Yes, some people food is fine to feed to water turtles. I toss chopped up pieces of chicken into my pond all the time for my water turtles. I don't do this very often, but sometimes I'll even give them hot dogs or baloney. Turkey is also ok. I'm not sure about the shrimp, though. Seems to me I've heard that shrimp isn't too good for water turtles.

Turtleswagg

5 Year Member
San Pedro, CA
i throw a piece of ham or bologna in there once or twice a month, they love it and it seems to do no harm. shrimp is in some turtles natural diet so it would be good. also bauribob throws is turkey (he takes awesome care of his turts) and he has no prob

bauribob on youtube

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
A piece of sashimi (fish only; no fatty fish or puffers) once in a while doesn't do any harm and is a good treat.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
I give my pond turtles the occasional piece of leftover meat, and they also really like bread.

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
Yea I feed my little guys chicken they love it, they still eat their pellet foods but they love, chicken and red wigglers. I have also thrown in chopped up boiled egg whites. I think unseasoned people food is fine, it's people food like Mcdonalds that no one or anything for that matter should eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.