Peppers and frozen veggie mix?

Homer4life

I'm curious if red and green peppers are acceptable to feed my Russian. I have been for awhile now and he really loves them. I also use a frozen veggie mix. I use the frozen mainly because I feed sugar gliders and a bearded dragon, as well, so it's convenient and less costly. I add the veggies and peppers to my tortoise's greens daily. Someone said that none of this was acceptable? He eats it all very well and he's healthy, so I'm confused. Can someone please enlighten me? Thanks!

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
It's fine occasionally. Or even in small amounts daily. It's up to you. As long as it isn't comprising a large part of the diet, he'll be fine.

Homer4life

Thanks for the quick reply! There are so many different opinions on what to feed that it's hard to keep track of!

kirsty Johnston

5 Year Member
Scotland
I agree with @jaizei that it's ok on occasion however should only be fed rarely or in very small amounts and the bulk of the diet should be made up of weeds and flowers

Homer4life

He gets dandelion greens now that it's summer here. I also give him kale or romaine on a daily basis. He doesn't seem to care for the collared greens.

Homer4life

I plan on growing my own weeds for him to have during the winter months. I never thought of that before until I read about people doing it recently.

kirsty Johnston

5 Year Member
Scotland
He gets dandelion greens now that it's summer here. I also give him kale or romaine on a daily basis. He doesn't seem to care for the collared greens.
But even then kale and romaine don't have the nutrients that weeds and flowers. There are much more than dandelion as well you could try clover, stinging nettles or some flowers like rose petals or viola

Homer4life

Stinging nettles? Never heard of that before. It must be a weed of some sort? And on our walks Homer likes to tear the clover up! I pick handfuls every other day to put in his house.

kirsty Johnston

5 Year Member
Scotland

kirsty Johnston

5 Year Member
Scotland
Stinging nettles? Never heard of that before. It must be a weed of some sort? And on our walks Homer likes to tear the clover up! I pick handfuls every other day to put in his house.
Smaller ones are easier on their tongues :) and yes they are a weed

Homer4life

Awesome I'll have to look them up and see if they can be found around me! Thanks!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Their diet should consist of no more than five to tell percent fruit and vegetables. Pepper is one of the better ones to feed. Lower in sugar and good vitamins.

CanadianTestudo

5 Year Member
Frozen often has way more nutrients than "fresh" from the store. Unless the food is actually fresh, but normally "fresh" greens from the store are picked too early so that they can survive shipment better

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
If you have to get stuff at the grocery store, go for cactus, sometimes they have dandelion greens, turnip greens mustard greens endive escarole radicchio. I feed a ^ every two or three months. Carrot tops and radish tops are good occasionally also. The key is variety throughout the year. And there are all kinds of weeds you can feed that art prickly :) check out the Russian tortoise section and Tom has put a huge list there of foods that are safe. It's in one of the care sheets at the top of the section.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Think about what a wild russian would be eating daily. No fruits, no peppers, no peas and carrots and no lettuce. They need high fiber foods and foods that have a high calcium to phosphorous ratio. "Weeds". Lots of different types.

Because your tortoise seems fine on the outside does not mean his nutritional needs are being met.

You can add fiber with the ZooMed Grassland pellets or blended grass hay soaked and mixed in with the grass hay. You can improve the calcium to phosphorous ratio by adding some calcium carbonate powder to the food. Here is a short list of just a few possible foods to offer, but be aware that tortoises are creatures of habit and sometimes it takes them weeks or months to get used to new foods, even if they are good new foods.

Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles