Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It is a VERY big pet peeve of mine. If you have a turtle or tortoise and you'd like to GIVE it away to a good home, that is called adoption. If you have a turtle or tortoise and want to take money from someone for taking it off your hands, that is called SELLING!!! Please don't say you want to adopt out your tortoises for $600. That is NOT adoption!

Yvonne

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I agree with you. Asking for money to ship or cover various costs is one thing but a price over that is selling the animal, so call it that.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
emysemys said:
It is a VERY big pet peeve of mine. If you have a turtle or tortoise and you'd like to GIVE it away to a good home, that is called adoption. If you have a turtle or tortoise and want to take money from someone for taking it off your hands, that is called SELLING!!! Please don't say you want to adopt out your tortoises for $600. That is NOT adoption!

Yvonne

Yvonne I totally agree with you and Itort. Lets call it what it is. adoption or sale. One does not have a price tag the other does.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
If you see a thread that should be in the For Sale forum as opposed to Adoptions, please report the thread so it can be moved to the proper place.

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
OMG, you guys are so correct!! Do you know that after we had our dog for a week to make sure that he would fit into our family, this adoption cost me $300.00 !! Had I known when we first met the dog and were visiting him at his home that the so called adoption had such a price attached to it, I would've saved the money in gasoline {and the time invested by my family} and not gotten him.

Of course, my daughter loves him, as do I, but that is not the point ~ peeps are out to scam those who have tender hearts for animals by calling it an adoption when it's really a sale ~ You have much agreement from this end of the world, Yvonne!!

Purpod

wayne.bob

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
iowa
i agree with all of you, i think it is common knowledge that an adoption is a free transaction. but we must remember that some people are still learning and might not realize what they are doing just yet. once they get the hang of it we wont have to worry about it but there will always be mistakes.

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
wayne.bob said:
i agree with all of you, i think it is common knowledge that an adoption is a free transaction. but we must remember that some people are still learning and might not realize what they are doing just yet. once they get the hang of it we wont have to worry about it but there will always be mistakes.

In many dog/cat/bird rescues/shelters "an adoption fee" is commonly charged to cover the cost of neutering/spaying, vet care, etc...so some people - not official rescue/shelters and especially those looking for a home for their own pet - use the term "rehoming or adoption fee" rather than admit they want some money in return.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
This is a constant discussion on Craigslist. I don't think I have seen more than one "free to a good home" post. People are always complaining about this. I am sure many good animals that could have had a good home, are passed up because of this.

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I've also read some rescue sites that encourage people to ask for an adoption fee - the idea, they say, is that someone willing to pay the adoption fee will be more apt to properly care for the animal because they've made an "investment" ....:rolleyes:

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
katesgoey said:
I've also read some rescue sites that encourage people to ask for an adoption fee - the idea, they say, is that someone willing to pay the adoption fee will be more apt to properly care for the animal because they've made an "investment" ....:rolleyes:

Perhaps so, but at a xtremely small dollar amount if they truly want the animal to have a good home... a perfect example, I had two 8' red tail boas in a custom built cage that absolutely HAD to have a good home, so after emailing back and forth, I chose one person who was knowledgeable about red tails & who thought the small fee {$100.00 for all} was a steal... of course, that fee did not even cover the cost of the custom cage, or even one of the animals, let alone both critters and the cage ~ In addition, I never said they were free.

I still think it's bogus to charge peeps if they are led to believe it is strictly an adoption ~

wayne.bob

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
iowa
again i agree, if you beleive that your animal needs a good home you should always ask interested parties questions about setups and knowledge of said animals. this will help you find the best sutible home for your animal. and the money issue should not have to be worried about because you would know that the animal was going to a good home.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
One thought on this subject I want to point out that may not directly relate to torts is that charging a small fee insures the animal is going to a good home. Ah example of this charging above the market cost of a prekilled rabbit for your litter of kittens. This prevents them from ending up in the belly of a python.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
The thought that if you charge for the animal, then the person who buys it will consider it an "investment" or whatever just sounds good, it doesn't prove true. Look how many expensive animals are abused, even one costing thousands of dollars (thinking horses especially).

I can understand an "adoption" fee, if that fee is to cover things like vet work done on the animal. If that is the case however, you should also be handed the paperwork from the vet showing what work was done. I find usually with tortoises, they have no such paperwork to show.

Often these places complain that they are over filled with animals and wonder why they can't find them new homes. I know I looked around a few places because my Ornates and Three toed box colonies are unbalanced with way more females then males and I thought I would do what I prefer to do and that is get from a rescue. The adoption fees are more then what I see usually as a sell price and you don't have to fill out the adoption form with sellers.

Then you also have the folks that adopt animals and next month you see them selling them for more money. I always thought if you adopted an animal, you were planning on keeping it, not just be a middleman for selling.

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Just to clarify - I agree that an adoption should be just that and a sale is a sale. I was only sharing what I have seen on other sites to possibly explain why some people do ask for an adoption or rehoming fee - I wasn't justifying the fee (hence, the rolleyes smilie), just explaining again to clarify my previous posts on this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.