Piña is on the way..

jockma

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles County
Yes, even with 0% humidity outside the enclosure you can maintain high humidity. Without covering the top it'll just float out, plants or not, here in LA county it can get pretty dry but even on the driest days I see no noticeable difference in humidity levels because the enclosure is closed. I have semi-large holes drilled in the sides of the enclosure for air ventilation but I don't think it's entirely necessary, you're gonna be opening the enclosure every day anyway.

Piña

nyc
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll probably buy a piece of plexiglass and cut it to fit. Going to check tonight if placing the humidifier next to the tank worked or not when I get home from work.

Piña

nyc
Two questions, at almost 2 months old do I supplement with just calcium or not needed? Also how often. I bought Repashy "superveggie" that I may not give until 6 months. Second, I know it's going to take her time to get adjusted, but how long. Today she didn't move out of her hide. I got home, took her out, gave her a soak and put new greens in and she ran over to eat. Should I continue to do this until she comes out on her own? I also left food this morning which wasn't touched. Just want to know how much time to give her. I like she does eat when I do take her out though.

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
I don't know how soon you should start supplementing
But you could always leave a cuttlebone in there in case your baby wants to try it.
It could take a week for a tort to be completely comfortable in their environment. Check your temps again and make sure it's not too cold anywhere in the tank.
Remember babies would naturally hide a lot in the wild, so any hiding behavior isn't completely unnatural.

Piña

nyc
Thanks again Sara. Temps are good. Humidity up but still not great, going to work on that during my weekend. Probably plexiglass to cover a good portion of the top, doesn't plexiglass reduce uv though?Cuttlebone is in there but hasn't looked at it yet.

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
You have to cut a hole where your lights are. Unfortunately doing that causes gaps where humidity and heat escape.
Usually having a plywood top so you can hang your lights inside works best.
But try the plexiglass.
One or two large sheets with holes cut out for your lights will work.
But screen also reduces UVB to a degree, so there really shouldn't be any screening under your UVB light anyway.
You can cut a hole in the screen as well though.

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
And don't worry about the cuttlebone.
Some torts love it, some don't care either way, and some never touch it.
My two turtles love cuttlebone and devour it.
My tortoise only occasionally nibbles at it. But I offer it to all of them.

You can supplement with calcium a couple times a week but it won't really do much without UVB.

Piña

nyc
Thanks Sara, I read some other threads and bought a reflective insulation. Cut it to the screen top I have. Temps went up a bit and humidity has stayed at 80% for about an hour now. Going cut the screen out from under the uv lighting. Big improvement, just have to monitor now and see if things stay how they are.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
View attachment 174502 So after a week, she's been eating small amounts everyday, gets bath everyday and goes every other day. First day off 5days later and she's looking out her hide box. Guess this place ain't so bad....
Looks like you're getting things down real good. Your baby tort is adorable!

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
Looks like you're using a pet shop water dish. The sides of them wind up being too high for tort babies and can be a major flip/drowning hazard.
Get a terra cotta plant saucer and use that, sunk to the level of the substrate, it will be much easier for your baby to get in, drink and soak on its own.
Glad to hear that your little one is doing well though!!! :)