Picky tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
So Ive noticed that I can only feed my tortoise for a few days before he refuses to eat the food and I have to switch it up. Is this normal? Also he really likes the leaves on strawberry plants are those okay?

Indiana
Does anybody else's tortoise get picky about what they eat? If I feed my tortoise, Grant, more than 3 days in a row of the same food he'll refuse them. Also are strawberry plants' leaves okay to feed them because my tortoise really seems to enjoy them. Im a new member and tortoise owner whose tortoise was a rescue so any help would be appreciated.

Franco F

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New York, New York
My tortoise is very picky. He usually likes to eat what I call the three main food groups: dandelion, plantain, and clover. He's hesitant to eat other weeds, although I usually find a way to cut him off from his favorites for a bit.

Massimo loves radicchio, frisee, and arugula, but I'll only feed that to him once in a while since they are store bought items

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Yes, they are almost all picky. They know what they like and they like what they know... and are very good at manipulating their human carers!

Your tort is behaving like a child that only wants to eat chips and chocolate - you're the parent in charge!

Here's a step by step guide:

1. Chop the foods your tort will eat very small and wet them

2. Chop a tiny amount of new food very small and mix it with the rest. The water will stick it together so the new stuff cannot be picked out.

3. If your tort eats everything, at the next feed increase the amount of new food very slightly and decrease the liked food by the same amount.

4. If your tort refuses to eat then leave the food in place for 24 hours and then replace with fresh in exactly the same proportions.

Very gradually, over weeks not days, your tort will start accepting the new food as normal. Take it slowly and don't try to hurry it. A hungry tort will give in and eat.

Your tort can go a long time without food, but not water. A thirty minute soak is essential on days when there is a hunger strike.