Pics of my baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

MnM10

5 Year Member
Here are 2 pics of my little doode. Name's Flash. Just wanna know what you think. The 1st pic is from 2 wks ago when he was first given to me. And the 2nd pic is from yesterday.

Attachments

• image-1339942689.png
    image-1339942689.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 177
  • image-1302985781.png
    image-1302985781.png
    927.4 KB · Views: 179

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
Looks like you've been taking good care of him, he looks much more colorful in the 2nd pic

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Might just be the pics, but he looks more pyramided in the pic from yesterday. Are you keeping him to dry? Other than that he's a cutie and love the coloring. If I am correct about the pyramiding, check into the humidity he needs.

MnM10

5 Year Member
I thought his coloring was getting better too. Well I've been keepin an eye on the temps n humidity level it's at 70%. I soak him every day for at least 20 min, I have a water dish in his terrarium. And I spray his shell with warm water (which he doesn't seem to mind anymore he just looks at me now) every day.

I thought his coloring was getting better too. Well I've been keepin an eye on the temps n humidity level it's at 70%. I soak him every day for at least 20 min, I have a water dish in his terrarium. And I spray his shell with warm water (which he doesn't seem to mind anymore he just looks at me now) every day.

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
Oh yeah, the humidity and soaking are important! I think that's part of why mine has grown so much since I've had him. The girl I got him from was keeping him in a rabbit cage on straw and newspaper with just a low UVB bulb and a low watt heat bulb and definitely no humidity!

MnM10

5 Year Member
Aw poor tort. The woman my boyfriend bought my little doode from had him in kind of a small tank with no light or anything just dry some lettuce and no water =\ And I guess there were more in there with him before but they'd been sold and Flash (my tort) was the last one.

I'm going to work on a humidifier for him though (with help from my dad of course lol). I've seen a few pics on this forum from other people who've fixed up humidifiers for their tort's enclosures. So I have some ideas now.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Your care sounds good and he should start to smooth out over the next few months for you. What is the substrate he is walking on there? The little white pieces look like perlite, which could be an impaction risk...

MnM10

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Your care sounds good and he should start to smooth out over the next few months for you. What is the substrate he is walking on there? The little white pieces look like perlite, which could be an impaction risk...

Umm I'm not sure really- the lady who sold it to my bf had him in that and have us some. I've been switching substrates trying to find the right one. I have sphagnum moss right now I had bought sani chips because the pet store said it would be best but it held no moisture and Flash kept trying to eat it :| so I bought more moss. And I was thinking about mixing it with coco coir.

revdrlon

5 Year Member
I use coco coir and topsoil, and I spray UT down every day, it keeps a lot of moisture.

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
MnM10 said:
Aw poor tort. The woman my boyfriend bought my little doode from had him in kind of a small tank with no light or anything just dry some lettuce and no water =\ And I guess there were more in there with him before but they'd been sold and Flash (my tort) was the last one.

I'm going to work on a humidifier for him though (with help from my dad of course lol). I've seen a few pics on this forum from other people who've fixed up humidifiers for their tort's enclosures. So I have some ideas now.

Sounds good! You can also put aluminum foil over the top of the cage, lights and all, to help keep in the humidity. Flash is a lucky tort, I'm glad someone's taking care of him who wants to do it right.

MnM10 said:
Ok thanks :)

I 2nd the coco coir and topsoil. I've found it on homedepot.com for $8 for a 5kg bale that covered my entire 6'x3' table but they've been out of stock for a while (they call it coco peat). It was $25 on Amazon which is an excellent place to get lighting for inexpensive prices. I got a long linear fluorescent 10.0 UVB bulb and the hood to go with it for the same price just the bulb is at my local Petco!!!

MnM10

5 Year Member
Linzbragg said:
Sounds good! You can also put aluminum foil over the top of the cage, lights and all, to help keep in the humidity. Flash is a lucky tort, I'm glad someone's taking care of him who wants to do it right.

I 2nd the coco coir and topsoil. I've found it on homedepot.com for $8 for a 5kg bale that covered my entire 6'x3' table but they've been out of stock for a while (they call it coco peat). It was $25 on Amazon which is an excellent place to get lighting for inexpensive prices. I got a long linear fluorescent 10.0 UVB bulb and the hood to go with it for the same price just the bulb is at my local Petco!!!

Oh sweet thanks. My hand's getting tired of spraying water lol (oh the things you do for the ones you love lol). I did buy coco coir he's not used to it and just kind of sniffs and looks at it. But he's gettin more comfy now. And I'll def look into the lighting I have a UVB light it's coiled and flourecent- but I keep reading it's bad for their eyes.

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
I was also told that about the coiled bulbs by members of the forum and other sites. They're expensive at the pet store (around $50 here in VA). That's one of the things I found at a great deal on Amazon. I got the reptisun linear bulb and the hood there.

Status
Not open for further replies.