Pig Blanket

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Sierra Vista, AZ
I read somewhere about (not sure if it was here or elsewhere) that the pig blankets should be installed on the sides or top of an enclosure so as to not hurt whatever creature is using it?

Is this correct? Does anyone have experience with the pig blankets? Can they get wet (i.e. misting/spraying needed to keep the enclosure humid)? Pros? Cons?

Also, has anyone tried or implemented the floor heating I see them putting in all those renovation shows oh HGTV?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You can attach them to side, top or bottom. They are safe for torts too lay on. You just have to have room for the tort too get off of it too. They should also be hooked up to a thermostat too.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Mel:

I've used Stansfield's Heat Mats for over 20 years. Up until the beginning of this past winter, they have always lain on the floor of the tortoise sheds. Because the instructions that come with the pad say to not have substrate on top of the pad, and I wanted to have substrate in the forest-type tortoises' sheds, this past Autumn I decided to try my hand at mounting some of them on the walls close to the floor. It didn't work out, and this Autumn when I put them back down, they will be going back on the floor. The tortoises don't get as much heat or use from the mat when they are mounted on the wall.

argus333

5 Year Member
I agree they don't really work wel on a wall, I use them for yrs. but I also have a basking bulb in shed for heating from the top I jus use pig blanket at night for back up if oil filled heater broke.

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
Thank you for all the terrific input. I have bulbs I was just looking for some options to raise the entire enclosure temps up a bit.

For those who have build their own enclosures using a laminate or tile floor... have you looked into or use the in-floor heating elements like http://www.thermosoft.com/radiant-floor-heating/?

I will most likely build a new enclosure for Flash over the next year (need to get her in the Zoo Med Tortoise House I have been modifying first.. lol!), so I am starting my research now and make sure I explore all viable options!

Thanks, again.

argus333

5 Year Member
ya I've been looking into this. but has to go down on cement floor 1st i believe? looks good.

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
argus333 said:
ya I've been looking into this. but has to go down on cement floor 1st i believe? looks good.

It looks like the product for laminate does not need a cement!!

"No cement is required!"

"Installs on any structurally solid sub-floor: concrete, wood or vinyl for wood floor heating, electric radiant floor heat and laminate floor heat."

argus333

5 Year Member
u think its better then oil filled heater? wonder what it draws on the electric? I'm gonna build a new shed tis spring i gotta look into this more...

argus333

5 Year Member
ya tom I'm going to make a 8 ft x 8ft shed 6 ft high in front slopping to back 4ft high, so i can still get in an clean but low enough to hold heat well. going to insulate between walls then use thin insulating sheets then layer with 1/2 inch ply. all walls and ceiling and floor. with added horse mat on floor for easy cleaning and added insulation. heat will be the same heater your using and i already have in my 5x6ft box plus 1 pig blanket and 2 small heat lights for daytime basking and light. also new attached 16 x 10 ft greenhouse for winter.

tobpainting

5 Year Member
The heated floor is good in theory and would probably work well. If you wanted to pour a concrete floor over plywood you could do that as subfloor. Depending on how shed is built and might not be bad idea to build crawl space and insulate bottom. I'm sure you will have your best bud help you build it.