Pine Bark

ShellingtonTheFirst

Location (City and/or State)
London
Bought a 70L bag of orchid bark to do a complete substrate change, which I did yesterday. Upon dumping it all out I noticed it had a very pleasant smell… suspiciously pine-y. Though on amazon this is marketed as orchid bark suitable for reptiles, with no mention of pine anywhere. I’ve contacted the seller asking what exactly it is but I’ve had no response yet. If it is pine, how bad is it for Shelly to be on it for a few days while I source something else? Thank you.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Bought a 70L bag of orchid bark to do a complete substrate change, which I did yesterday. Upon dumping it all out I noticed it had a very pleasant smell… suspiciously pine-y. Though on amazon this is marketed as orchid bark suitable for reptiles, with no mention of pine anywhere. I’ve contacted the seller asking what exactly it is but I’ve had no response yet. If it is pine, how bad is it for Shelly to be on it for a few days while I source something else? Thank you.
Orchid bark is actually made from coniferous (fir) trees, so that may explain the piney smell.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Not pine. The pine bark you buy is a lot lighter in color than what you have there.

0068328012204_a1c1_1200.png

Karen(pebbles)

Platinum Tortoise Club
Bristol Uk
I buy the same 70lt bags from Amazon or eBay and my pebbles is fine with it, the smell does disappear in time