Pink lines?

Jay Bagley

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Hello, our sulcata has pink lines on its plaston. He recently had some big growth spurts, was just curious if these are growth lines. Also the big line that runs directly down the middle of his plaston is not hard, I want necessarily say it is soft either it is more flexible and leathery feeling but only down that middle line. Everything else is solid on his plaston. Wondered if that was just from the rapid growth and more than likely will harden soon. He is getting his calcium supplement twice a week and has a mercury vapor bulb. At this point I am more concerned about the pink lines, I am using the repta bark, and had read on another post that it sometimes will stain and I'm hoping that is all it is.20171113_205845.jpg20171113_205831.jpg20171113_205749.jpg

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
Looks like growth lines to me.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Oh thank goodness, the pink was worrying me. I don't know a lot about tortoises yet, but I had read a couple post about septicemia and how sometimes they will have pink lines from it. Thank you for your quick response, it is very much appreciated.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The pink lines are normal when they are growing.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
The pink lines are normal when they are growing.
Thanks Tom, I really appreciate the feedback. I wish I would have known about this forum prior to buying our tortoise. I did a lot of things the wrong way because I didn't know what I was doing, like having him in an open tortoise table. Going to start building a closed chamber in the next week or two.