Pink on tortoise shell

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hello! I took my tort to the vet yesterday because I was concerned on what these pink spots are on her plastron and get her beak trimmed. he said it was irritation and to put epoxy on it so she wears that down rather than her shell. (she tries to climb out of her enclosure so I will expand it during hibernation). in the meantime I was advise that putting epoxy on it isn’t good advice and to ask others for their thoughts. Is it irritation? should I not put epoxy on it?
If it helps, she’s eating well and active.

@wellington

Attachments

• 1CD121B2-175A-4943-B5C0-E426B0A33832.jpeg
    1CD121B2-175A-4943-B5C0-E426B0A33832.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 9
  • D56C86B1-CF7F-4105-BE25-FF70843A7C3F.jpeg
    D56C86B1-CF7F-4105-BE25-FF70843A7C3F.jpeg
    216.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 13A032C9-E40E-495B-AB21-76528AC2C98F.jpeg
    13A032C9-E40E-495B-AB21-76528AC2C98F.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 9
  • DD080533-AFB4-478D-8180-59765C2BF1EF.jpeg
    DD080533-AFB4-478D-8180-59765C2BF1EF.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 10

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Yes. I would definitely not put epoxy on the tortoises plastron or carapace.
This just seems like an idiotic peice of advice to me. (from a vet)
There's evidence of quite a bit of shell damage there at various stages of healing. Is this tortoise wild caught or live outside full time?

California
Yes. I would definitely not put epoxy on the tortoises plastron or carapace.
This just seems like an idiotic peice of advice to me. (from a vet)
There's evidence of quite a bit of shell damage there at various stages of healing. Is this tortoise wild caught or live outside full time?
I honestly don’t have much info on her before my grandpa got her from a friend who apparently had her for a while. He kept her outside and I’m sure the previous owner did too. She now has an outdoor inclosure at my house. So yes outside full time apart from hibernation, (I know my grandpa stored her inside at least) What should I do about her shell? Will she be okay? Should I keep her from hibernating? Is the pink not irritation? So many thoughts going through my mind now.

edit: grandpa let her free roam, that old man >: (

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'd like to be able to see the raw looking areas better. But I'm having ongoing eye issues.
Pink is not normal. I can't tell you certain what it is. But if it's an abrasion I wouldn't think too much of it.
Let's see what others think when the sun comes up and more members are awake

California
I'd like to be able to see the raw looking areas better. But I'm having ongoing eye issues.
Pink is not normal. I can't tell you certain what it is. But if it's an abrasion I wouldn't think too much of it.
Let's see what others think when the sun comes up and more members are awake
I’m sorry about your eye issues, I have a friend who had to take a semester off because he had to get multiple procedures done. Was not a fun time for him.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I only have my phone and I can't blow it up enough without it getting blurry. Maybe @Yvonne G or @Tom can see it better.
What kind or tortoise is this again? She looks like a He to me. Shell even looks concaved like a Male.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello! I took my tort to the vet yesterday because I was concerned on what these pink spots are on her plastron and get her beak trimmed. he said it was irritation and to put epoxy on it so she wears that down rather than her shell. (she tries to climb out of her enclosure so I will expand it during hibernation). in the meantime I was advise that putting epoxy on it isn’t good advice and to ask others for their thoughts. Is it irritation? should I not put epoxy on it?
If it helps, she’s eating well and active.

@wellington
Just looks like a normal worn plastron on an older tortoise. I see no reason to do anything.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
But if it's an abrasion I wouldn't think too much of it.

Just looks like a normal worn plastron on an older tortoise. I see no reason to do anything.

To share my opinion: I also think it's within the scope of normal wear & tear and perhaps some abrasion of sorts. My leopard tortoise is very rough on his shell and looks beat up because of it. He had "pink abrasion spots" once and healed up, just fine.

California
To share my opinion: I also think it's within the scope of normal wear & tear and perhaps some abrasion of sorts. My leopard tortoise is very rough on his shell and looks beat up because of it. He had "pink abrasion spots" once and healed up, just fine.
Thats great! Im hoping that while she hibernates it goes away since she wont be messing around.

California
Has she laid eggs before? Is the bottom shell flat?
It looks like the bottom shell is concaved and the males have concaved shell while females are flat.
If its not concaved the angle sure makes it look like it.
I’m so sorry, school got in the way. I’ll attach a photo of her from the side. With me she has not laid any eggs. With grandpa, I don’t think so but since he let her free roam I can’t say for certain but I doubt it. With previous owner, absolutely no idea. They don’t need to mate to lay eggs?
Other’s said she’s female from when I was asking about her sex. Her tail is super tiny, like a cute little nub. I thought her shell was pretty flat when comparing it to photos of males but there certainly is a shallow dip.

Attachments

• 10A671AA-7E3F-4488-BD0C-DEEBF1ED5351.jpeg
    10A671AA-7E3F-4488-BD0C-DEEBF1ED5351.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
  • EEC3F69D-07A6-4E80-BCC3-64648974FBB3.jpeg
    EEC3F69D-07A6-4E80-BCC3-64648974FBB3.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
  • B9A703F5-B4D8-4328-82FC-62C755E04243.jpeg
    B9A703F5-B4D8-4328-82FC-62C755E04243.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes they can lay eggs without ever being with a Male but it doesn't really happen often.
A tiny tail is a female tail but the concaved is a Male trait.
I have a rescued male leopard that was stunted/delayed in his growth until I got him. He isn't concaved as much as my other Male that I raised or like pictures show.
Hmmm, interesting. I guess seeing she has a bit of both you can call her what you want lol.

California
Yes they can lay eggs without ever being with a Male but it doesn't really happen often.
A tiny tail is a female tail but the concaved is a Male trait.
I have a rescued male leopard that was stunted/delayed in his growth until I got him. He isn't concaved as much as my other Male that I raised or like pictures show.
Hmmm, interesting. I guess seeing she has a bit of both you can call her what you want lol.
Chibi never fails to amaze me lol