Pink uric acid??

ridanaseem

A strange thing happened today! My tort has been inactive since almost a week and when he peed today, there was no white colored uric acid deposits, instead it was pink! I don't know what it is and I'm very worried!

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
pink or gray and smelly, it could mean a bacterial infection...I would consult a Vet .

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Pink can also be based on a food item you offered/fed.....the inactive part (if the tort is normally active) would be what worried me....what are your temps in the enclosure? How often do you offer soaks?

glitch4200

5 Year Member
NW suburbs of Chicago
Probably just a big build up of urates. And he is probably a tad dehydrated and when he went to pass his urates it got some blood with it. I brought my little guy to the vet had a complete work up with xrays. He was fine and has been fine. I recommend 3x-4x soaks a week.

glitch4200

5 Year Member
NW suburbs of Chicago
Proper heat and appropriate lighting for him to see "well in" is key to having him stay active. If it's dark to a tortoise they will want to sleep. Basic behavior in my opinion. Observed observation too.

ridanaseem

Probably just a big build up of urates. And he is probably a tad dehydrated and when he went to pass his urates it got some blood with it. I brought my little guy to the vet had a complete work up with xrays. He was fine and has been fine. I recommend 3x-4x soaks a week.

He's been eating less too. And usually sleeps even when it's broad daylight. He will always run towards the dark. And it's not a fleshy mass as I saw in your post. It's a usual clear urine with uric acid only that the uric acid is pink. I haven't changed his diet or fed him dandelion. I soak him once sometimes twice for 5 mins because he will furiously try to climb out of the water even if the water is tepid. He rarely drinks water. I'm thinking of taking him to the vet. :(

ridanaseem

Pink can also be based on a food item you offered/fed.....the inactive part (if the tort is normally active) would be what worried me....what are your temps in the enclosure? How often do you offer soaks?

I keep it at 24-27 degrees. I soak him once or sometimes twice a week.

glitch4200

5 Year Member
NW suburbs of Chicago
Just have him checked out
. It's always good to know and have a second opinion where they can run tests . Seasons are changing and he could sense that and his behavior can be effected by that as well

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Probably diet, dandelions often cause pink urates. Has your tortoise been eating dandelions? As always soaking couldn't hurt.