Pix of African Spur I found ..shell damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

soundwave80

5 Year Member
Here are pics of the tortoise I found. Any help with what is wrong with his shell would be awesome. And any remedies to help repair it. I live in St. Petersburg Fl. Name is Shawn. Thanks

Attachments

• IMAG0058 (3).jpg
    IMAG0058 (3).jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 200
  • IMAG0057 (2).jpg
    IMAG0057 (2).jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 176
  • IMAG0056 (2).jpg
    IMAG0056 (2).jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 159

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome, Shawn!

That looks like old damage to me, however its pretty hard to really tell from looking at a picture on the computer. Did you take the tortoise to a vet?

It could be "chew" damage. My first thought was a burn of some kind, like maybe he was caught in a field burn-off. But when I looked at the second picture, you can see that the marginals above the back legs have been chewed off.

Just clean it real well with a brush and maybe some antibacterial soap or Chlorhexidine. Then give it a smell. If you don't smell anything, its not an active shell rot.

If it IS old damage, there's nothing to be done for it. Eventually new bone and keratin will grow under the damaged parts you see, but it takes a very long time...maybe even more than a year.

Incidentally, he looks a bit dehydrated (his eyes are sort of sunken in). Have you given him a forced soak since you got him?

EricIvins

5 Year Member
That is fire damage, which is not uncommon to any Turtle or Tortoise in Florida seeing that Florida burns down at least once a year, If not multiple times during any given year.......

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Poor guy looks like he has had a ruff life. I hope you can keep him and let him have some peace, safety, food and water. Lots of water to soak in and to drink. Good luck

soundwave80

5 Year Member
Havent soak him yet. But doing it first in the morning. Getting his enclosure fixed up too.
Will his shell ever grow back?
Any other advice would be great. Doing tons if reading.
jessrich87 said:
Aww- poor big guy.

soundwave80

5 Year Member
Thanks for the input. havent soaked him yet. Will do it first thing tomorrow morning. I am trying to read alot on the care for this guy. Will his shell ever look normal again? Any other recomendations on getting this guy healthy? Thanks for the input. And any advice is appreciated.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
New keratin and bone will grow UNDER the dead stuff you see on the outside. Eventually that old dead stuff will flake off...but it takes a very long time. In this case maybe a couple of years. (I thought I already said this)

TheTortoiseWhisperer

5 Year Member
Mandeville, Louisiana
soundwave80 said:
Here are pics of the tortoise I found. Any help with what is wrong with his shell would be awesome. And any remedies to help repair it. I live in St. Petersburg Fl. Name is Shawn. Thanks

That poor baby has been cared for by someone who simply doesn't care at all about him, because I'm sure his shell has been rotting for a very long time……He's being advertized on Craigslist, and whoever is advertising him is actually requesting a $300.00 rehoming fee. I can't remember in which city but I know it's the same tortoise, I actually seen a picture of him today and the other day when I saw him for the first time I couldn't help it and I had to send them a little note asking them to please bring that poor baby to one of many rescue places that may be able to help him……sooooo, soooo sad and cruel. I hope you're able to help him, he needs someone to care.

Mordy

5 Year Member
Miami, Fl
Is he eating? How is he behaving? :/ Poor little guy. If you cant care for him in the present or future, Id gladly welcome him. I hope hes getting the TLC he deserves.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
whatever it is, it looks like it was severe and he is lucky.. clean enviroment, good food and care... but he will never get 'better'. just hope he will survive it.
keep us posted/.

soundwave80

5 Year Member
Day 2. Soaked him this morning. And after he became very active. And pooped 3 times. But around 1pm he had just seemed to be resting. He is eating well. And seems very alert. Gave his injured shell a good cleaning with some anti bacterial soap. Let him dry. And gave him a good smell. Dosent have much of an oder at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.