Sulcatta Emergency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackster

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hello...I'm in Tampa, Fl.
I am a newbie to forums.
I have 2 year old African Spur Thigh with a prolapsed rectum....on a saturday evening....
Can't find a herp vet.
Anyone ever had this problem? and what do I do?
This guy grew so nice and healthy...perfect diet...I have no idea what has happened. Any help or thoughts, suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hi,
You need to keep the tissue from drying out, so a triple antibiotic ointment would work great. If you can't get that regular vasoline will work just as well.
You need to get to a vet ASAP, even if they aren't a herp vet. You can have a vet call the closest tortoise vet to get advice.

Danny

Jackster

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
Hi,
You need to keep the tissue from drying out, so a triple antibiotic ointment would work great. If you can't get that regular vasoline will work just as well.
You need to get to a vet ASAP, even if they aren't a herp vet. You can have a vet call the closest tortoise vet to get advice.

Danny

Thanks Danny, have been putting triple anti b on, and cool water.
Do you know what the treatment would be?
Got any idea off and without info what may have caused?
Really nice and healthy turtle so I've been told. Fresh food always....
I did notice a vine had JUST crept into habitat and that is only thing new...potho vine...the toxicity level is pretty low...more of an irritant...thanks again!:)

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Hard to tell what happened. The vet should put a purse string suture around his cloaca to hold the piece of intestine inside and let the muscles re-attach to it.

Danny

Jackster

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
Hard to tell what happened. The vet should put a purse string suture around his cloaca to hold the piece of intestine inside and let the muscles re-attach to it.

Danny

That sounds logical....now that I think of it that way.I am Not a turtle person...had one brought to us {actually Freds turtle} needing a home and good diet. Fred studied diet, turned turtle around...been working with him for 1.5 years...seems good. No runny nose or eyes anymore. These guys are sensitive.
Now this!...
Can this wait til monday or is this an asap situation...
I am squirrel rehabber and have exotics vet on monday.
Can go to 24 hour emergency care if need be.
Not sure what I'll get as Dr....?
Can any vet handle this?....feline vet for instance?
Is it a must within a time frame , what is prognosis?
I do understand you are probably not vet...but at the minute, you're all I have for ANY info...
Thanks again....j

Shawn and Dianne

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Lakeland, FL
If you are willing to drive a little ways, I have a great reptile vet in Lakeland, FL. I take my sulcata there, and in fact they have a sulcata that lives at their clinic. Her name is Dr. Theresa Merckel at the Polk County animal hospital. I think she does work on weekends, and they will take emergencies.

Polk County Animal Hospital
7433 US 98 N Lakeland 33809
863-858-2252

Hope that helps, good luck

Dianne

aka2tal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Please update this chat so we know the outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.