Placing Probes...

Dan Tennick

Hi all,

Just wondering if someone can tell me if I've got this right..

I've recently made changes to my Horsfield Tortoise's Enclosure and I'm putting the probes back for the Thermometer and the Habistat Thermostat but I'm not sure if I'm to put the Probes where they are on the pic (attached) on the brightest beam or in the middle of the darker circle? ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1427245946.192575.jpg

It's driving me mad wondering where the best place is to put it.

Any help would be fantastic! :)

Thank you all!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
Put the probes where you want to know what the temperature readings are. If you want to know the hottest spot under that bulb, put it right under it in the brightest light. Then you'll know the hottest basking temp..

In addition to that, you can put other probes in other locations to help you know what micro climates you have.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Btw, how I've always done it.. I kept a flat rock directly under the basking lamp and set my probe right in the middle of it.

I think they like setting themselves up to bask on a warm surface..like the flat rock under the lamp. Not only did mine seemingly enjoy it while housed indoors, but even once living outside they still prefer to bask on the concrete before heading off to the grass.

Dan Tennick

Btw, how I've always done it.. I kept a flat rock directly under the basking lamp and set my probe right in the middle of it.

I think they like setting themselves up to bask on a warm surface..like the flat rock under the lamp. Not only did mine seemingly enjoy it while housed indoors, but even once living outside they still prefer to bask on the concrete before heading off to the grass.

That's something I've thought of but I was told that the stone could get hot and burn his bottom :/ so I decided not too! I have a piece of slate that I could put under for him though :)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
The stone, tile..etc can't get any hotter than the tortoise would. I've not only never had an issue with that but many others use rocks with no problem.plus, when given the choice mine prefer it.

I only share this as food for thought.. ;)

If by any chance someone has actually had a tortoise burn from basking on a rock, I'd be curious to hear about it..That would be new information to me.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would not use a thermostat to control the heat lamps. I use thermostats to control the ambient back ground temperature with some other heating device.

I set the height of the basking bulb to give me the correct temperature, but I don't want the "sun" turning on and off all day depending on the temperature. I set my basking lamps on timers and check the temperatures under them with thermometers.

Dan Tennick

The stone, tile..etc can't get any hotter than the tortoise would. I've not only never had an issue with that but many others use rocks with no problem.plus, when given the choice mine prefer it.

I only share this as food for thought.. ;)

If by any chance someone has actually had a tortoise burn from basking on a rock, I'd be curious to hear about it..That would be new information to me.

Great! Will try that with a piece of Slate :) thanks!

Dan Tennick

I would not use a thermostat to control the heat lamps. I use thermostats to control the ambient back ground temperature with some other heating device.

I set the height of the basking bulb to give me the correct temperature, but I don't want the "sun" turning on and off all day depending on the temperature. I set my basking lamps on timers and check the temperatures under them with thermometers.

I don't know why I use mine anyways! It's usually always at the same temperature all the time. It slightly dim's when it's too warm and slowly gets higher when it needs more heat but very rarely it needs it lol