Planning for outdoor russian enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

ehopkins12

5 Year Member
hi everyone! I'm starting to plan an outdoor enclosure for my Russian, just looking for any help such as plans, pictures, and any suggestions. I'm not wanting to make it huge by the way. Thanks!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
The most important factor that will determine the placement, layout, and "features" of the enclosure is what part of the country you live in and the spot in which you intend to build the enclosure on your property. This is the starting point.

ehopkins12

5 Year Member
yea, well first off I live in Ohio, so she can only be outside a few months of the year. Heres a couple pictures of the area It will probably be located.
006-2.jpg

007-1.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
While you're still in the planning stages, one more thing to think about: Russians don't eat much grass, preferring broad-leaf weeds and plants. So if you plan to leave the grass in the habitat, be sure to have a "lawn mower gate" so you can keep the grass under control.

I made that mistake with most of my pens. Now I have to "mow" the pens with the Weedeater. Its a much bigger job than it would have been with the mower. My original thinking was, "If I don't make gates, there's no margin for error in leaving a gate open." So you have to climb over all my fences to get into the pens.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Good point Yvonne-I have the same problem! My Mediterranean and Russian tortoises completely ignore the grass growing in their enclosures! I have to crank up the weedwacker about once a month in the summer months and "mow" the enclosures or my tortoises get lost in a jungle of grass!

ehopkins--I live in upstate New York, Catskill Mountains region and my Russian tortoises are active outdoors from early April to the end of October. Our climates are probably very similar and in fact you may have a more consistent climate than I do.

It looks like you have a great spot to start with as long as it's on the south side of your house. Two walls are already in place! Two of the most important things to remember with Russian tortoises when "containing" them is that they are not only excellent (and fast) burrowers, but also excellent climbers! Don't underestimate their abilities. My adults dig burrows up to 2 feet long. Fortunately in a side hill. During extremely hot summer weather they can and will disappear underground for weeks and months at a time. I have had calls from people in a panick thinking they're Russian tortoise has escaped when in fact it was buried within it's enclosure! They will often cover the entrance to their burrow with a dirt plug. My point is that it's best to build their enclosure with escape prevention in mind. This way if your tortoise should disappear for a while you can rest assured that it's still within the enclosure.
Everyone has different ideas on what to build an enclosure out of. Many use cement blocks, wire mesh, wood, corrugated aluminum roofing and many other things. Regardless of what you use it's a good idea to bury it a good 4-8" in the ground to help prevent burrowing out. The sides should be at least 12" high and have nothing within the enclosure close enough to the side for a tortoise to climb up and over. Many people have a 2-4" overhang around the inside top of the enclosure as added security to prevent the tortoise from climbing up and over.

ehopkins12

5 Year Member
thanks! a lot of really good suggestions! I am actually planning on removing most of the grass and putting in a topsoil/playsand mixture. And I was thinking cement walls would be the easiest choice. also considering a small fence. So yea ill let you all know as it progresses and post plenty of pictures when it's finished! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.