Plant/bug problem!!!!!

dannylozano10

Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio,tx
Hey guys I'm really curious on how to keep any little bug off of my plants for my tortoise they are just eating the plants I planted and aren't growing because of that reason I've bought more seeds because my last plants got eaten by the bugs and the same is happening with these can someone give me a solution to my bug problem please?!?!? It's driving me crazy lol and I don't know what's eating them

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom do you have an answer/solution?

I have the same issue. I use fast growing plants and regular chopping keeps the bugs to a minimum. Everything wants to eat my plants before I can feed them to the tortoises…

You can order up some lacewings, praying mantids, or lady bugs from a biological supply house. Sometimes that helps.

Or grow your stuff inside a large screened area.

I don't like to use any type of spray on mine. I've heard dish soap and lemons juice mixes, and all sorts of other concoctions, but none of these have ever worked for me, and I really just don't like the idea of it.

Rue

Canada
An insect ID would be helpful.

Hosing them off with water is the safest.

I too...am not a fan of oils and soaps. They work...but not very well and you have to be very vigilant using them as well. Plus...I don't know what they would do to the tortoise if they are eating plant material with soaps and oils on them...which may not rinse off well with water.

You could try hanging sticky traps above your plants. About 10 cm. It may not help...but it can't possibly hurt. Just don't get your hair stuck...