Fertilizer?

Maggy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Salt Lake City, Utah
I really want to start growing my own plants but I absolutely am terrible at doing so! (At least starting at the seed stage) I have a few local flower shops and of course home depot to get flowers from but most of the places use some type of fertilizer or bug remover and I was wondering if I took those plants and replanted them how long it would have to take for all the pesticides and such to leave the plant and be safe enough to go in my little torts enclosure? If the chemicals would even go away at all?

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I feel comfortable pesticides have grown out when the plants start to get aphid infestations or other predators! :) I think most people would suggest around six months.

Where are you at and how large is your enclosure? Most plants won't last long inside an enclosure; they'll get trampled or eaten very fast. If you just want a plant in there to make your little one feel safe, a spider plant is a good suggestion. Other members can suggest other plants for enclosures.

If you have space outdoors and a few good sized pots, I recommend planting nasturium seeds; sunflower seeds (there are all kinds of dwarf sunflower plant seeds available at your nursery or online; some radish seeds; and starting a pot of opuntia (spineless cactus), you can buy a pad of opuntia online to start your own plant.

If you've got a little more room and some sun, buy one squash of any kind at a nursery and grow that. Even if it dies, you'll get some good tort food out of it. A great investment for about $1.50!

All of the seeds are so easy and fast to grow they are regularly suggested for childrens' gardens. And cactus is very hard to kill!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree, six months unless you know what was used and it says less. Most fertilizers I have come across for my non tortoise plants last 6 months.
If you reply them in plain dirt and try to wash away any of the old dirt, the new growth should be safe