Plant Identification: 0 knowledge on Plants

dmon05

Location (City and/or State)
San Juan, TX
I have no idea what these plants are (except for the grass lolol) Are they okay for my Sulcata to eat? 7E0946AC-1DB1-4F7B-88F5-908731AF64D0.jpeg09906182-A7C6-47C7-BCE4-DF2DDA013299.jpegC82DCD31-2318-4254-AE0E-EDFE90AC1E22.jpeg87F3BB11-2919-42D0-89D6-A301F2F4B860.jpeg3AC9275B-533F-4159-B751-2B1C49EC79C0.jpeg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Personally, the only thing I would feed there, is green grass clippings. Everything else is ornamental bushes/grasses. One grassy hillock looks like Liriope (( dont feed)). You have a 1 month old Sulcata, so tender grasses, moistened Mazuri pellets, hibiscus or rose of sharon blossoms, squash blossoms.

Make sure you read up here what @Tom has to offer.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Personally, the only thing I would feed there, is green grass clippings. Everything else is ornamental bushes/grasses. One grassy hillock looks like Liriope (( dont feed)). You have a 1 month old Sulcata, so tender grasses, moistened Mazuri pellets, hibiscus or rose of sharon blossoms, squash blossoms.

Make sure you read up here what @Tom has to offer.

The second one down looks like an Asparagus Fern. Again, not the kind of plant i would feed to a baby Sulcata. Ferns in general are hit or miss. So, id recommend you pass.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
There's two apps I use you should checkout. Ones called Picture This, and the other is called Plantsnap. Your take a picture of the plant and the app identifies it for you. Then I reference the Tortoise Table to see if it's edible. It's usually pretty accurate but if your not too sure just don't feed them.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome!

The last one is oleander. Basically toxic to everything and I can’t think of anyone hear that feeds it. I usually don’t sound this dramatic but don’t let your sulcata near it.

Edited to add figuring out plants gets easier; it’s okay if you can’t find anything in your yard first thing. Feed the soft grass mentioned above and a little ZooMed tortoise or Mazuri tortoise food. Grass is the best thing for them so it’s good you can start your baby on grass right away. :)

dmon05

San Juan, TX
Thanks y'all! I've been feeding him grass and weeds from my backyard and I was curious about the plants my parents had in the front yard. Thank the lord I didn't give him any of that poison.