Plant question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I just upgraded Andy to a 100 Gallon tank this weekend :D

And I want to put some edible plants in w/ him.

I'm not going to plant them in his bedding I was thinking maybe some plants that over hang that he can munch on from inside the pot and that I can just water...if that makes sense.

I've got a 100 watt power sun and 2 Uvb florescent bulbs lighting that bad boy up. Along w/ an infrared heat bulb and a 50 watt black incandescent bulb

Any help would be appreciated.

I'll head out to Walmart across the street during my lunch break.

Pretend I'm a 2 year old when It comes to planting and flower stuff :p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Two things:
Thing 1: You have to let new plants from a nursery "weather" for at least 3 months outside because the nurseries cover them with pesticides. You also shouldn't use the soil they came in most of the time.

Thing number 2: You will soon discover that if Andy can possibly reach the plant or any part of it, it will soon be destroyed. But don't take my word for it. Give it a try.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I guess, I don't necessarily need him to EAT the plants but I feel as if though he's got this huge enclosure now and it might be a bit "boring" to him just walking back and forth. I guess the exercise is good.

Maybe some obsticle course or something =]

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've seen some people put the plants on hangers or shelves out of reach of the torts. I think this could look really nice, add humidity and make the enclosure more interesting for the torts.

As you'll soon see, I'm concentrating on making the great outdoors more interesting and suitable. I think if their indoor enclosures as some where for them to sleep when the lights are off and somewhere warm to hang out when the weather is bad. I hate winter!

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Tom said:
I hate winter!

HAHA! The funny thing is that I was the COMPLETE opposite! I USED to love winter...now just because of Andy...I now hate it!

I told my wife the other day "I think we should move and get a house somewhere like Temecula" she said "YOU JUST WANT TO MOVE OUT THERE BECAUSE OF ANDY!!!"

oops :p I think she's catching on...

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Cant wait to see new pics of the enclosures Terry... a real treat:).

terryo said:
http://www.africantortoise.com/edible_landscaping.htm

I have Redfoots's and box turtles, and I use this plant list for both species. I even carry it with me in the Spring and Summer when I hit the nurseries.

Temecula = Pechanga :D. Bye the way, have you all changed your clocks yet? Daylight Savings..

fmadrigal said:
Tom said:
I hate winter!

HAHA! The funny thing is that I was the COMPLETE opposite! I USED to love winter...now just because of Andy...I now hate it!

I told my wife the other day "I think we should move and get a house somewhere like Temecula" she said "YOU JUST WANT TO MOVE OUT THERE BECAUSE OF ANDY!!!"

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
fmadrigal said:
Tom said:
I hate winter!

You've got it bad, man. Soon your whole life will revolve around tortoises. Every plant and weed will be potential tortoise food. Every open space will be a great place for tortoise pens. Every pen you make will seem too small right after you finish it. Every tub would be a good starter bin for babies or a good soaking tub for juvies. You'll start referring to warm sunny days as nice tortoise weather... Maybe you shouldn't come out. Your wife is going to HATE me...

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Tom said:
fmadrigal said:
Noooooooooooo!! Its already happening!!! I can't stop it!!! I need a tortoise obsession counseling group. AA for tortoise fanatics

Tom said:
I hate winter!

You've got it bad, man. Soon your whole life will revolve around tortoises. Every plant and weed will be potential tortoise food. Every open space will be a great place for tortoise pens. Every pen you make will seem too small right after you finish it. Every tub would be a good starter bin for babies or a good soaking tub for juvies. You'll start referring to warm sunny days as nice tortoise weather... Maybe you shouldn't come out. Your wife is going to HATE me...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Tom said:
You've got it bad, man. Soon your whole life will revolve around tortoises. Every plant and weed will be potential tortoise food. Every open space will be a great place for tortoise pens. Every pen you make will seem too small right after you finish it. Every tub would be a good starter bin for babies or a good soaking tub for juvies. You'll start referring to warm sunny days as nice tortoise weather...

You have that right! You drive by other people's places and find your checking out their plants and thinking what you could do with them. I even pointed out to my husband a winery for sale and asked him what he would think about buying such a place. Then my next sentence was something a long the lines of, but what would we do with all the grapes?:rolleyes: :D

Status
Not open for further replies.