Sulcata lighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

izzy2208

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
illinois
Hello im getting a 4" sulcata tomorrow i have everything but the bulb/ light for it because im running low on money. Im pretty sure that its a 100 watt uvb bulb or something that it needs but i checked the price and and i cant afford that at the moment. Would it be ok just to use a zilla day white light 100 watt incandescent bulb(its alot less money) in its tank for now (about a week or so) as long as i take it outside(its warm out) for most of the day. I should be able to afford it by then. I feel horrible but its coming earlier than i had thought and i have everything else already.:s

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
That is fine. Uvb bulbs aren't necessary if you can get them outside often.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
I only use the UVB during the Winter months. With Spring here, they will have ALOT more "outside Time" and get all the UV's they may need!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You don't need the expensive Zilla basking bulb either. Just go to Walmart of Home Depot and get a flood bulb. Get your basking temp correct by raising or lowering the fixture.

How are you going to maintain night temps?

izzy2208

5 Year Member
illinois
Ok thanks :Dand Im having trouble with night temps. We have a heat mat/pad but i really dont want to use it. Is there another way?:s:huh:

lkwagner

5 Year Member
Do you use anything at night? Ceramic heat emitter? Black light bulb? Anything?

Minority1

5 Year Member
avoid heat mats, even if you put it under the substrate there's a chance the tortoise burrows too deep and gets burned that way as well. Closed enclosures and ceramic heat emitters would help.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
CHE on a thermostat. Makes things very easy. CHE seem expensive at first, but they last a long time. I've got one thats been in continuous use since 1991.

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
Tom I think that's been in use longer then some of your TFO members have been alive! Sorry just found it amusing. :)

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
littleatella said:
Tom I think that's been in use longer then some of your TFO members have been alive! Sorry just found it amusing. :)

I echo that. I was thinking, “1991. Big deal." Then I realized my youngest was born in '88. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.