Too Cold

Status
Not open for further replies.

izzy2208

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
illinois
Hello! :)Donatello's tank is only 79 degrees max. I cant seem to get it warmer. I have a 100 watt bulb and 4-6" of substrate on 1 side and a screen on top of tank. Sometimes i turn on heating mat/ pad thats on the side of tank thats only 1-2" .Does anyone know how i can get it warmer. I dont have alot of money right now. The substrate/ bedding is zoo med forest floor cypress mulch.

Love4tortoises

5 Year Member
Mission Viejo, CA
izzy2208 said:
Hello! :)Donatello's tank is only 79 degrees max. I cant seem to get it warmer. I have a 100 watt bulb and 4-6" of substrate on 1 side and a screen on top of tank. Sometimes i turn on heating mat/ pad thats on the side of tank thats only 1-2" .Does anyone know how i can get it warmer. I dont have alot of money right now. The substrate/ bedding is zoo med forest floor cypress mulch.

79 is definitly not warm enough. The "cool" side of the tank need to be around 80-85 degrees and the basking area (right under the lamp) needs to be around 100-110... If the top of your enclosure is just screen, you need to cover it. I covered mine with foil and that helped keep the heat in. I also used insulation and surrounded my tank with that as well. These are some things that I did when I was having your problem and they helped tremendously!

Hope this helps!! :)

I attached a picture of my set up, so you can see what I did :)

Attachments

• Chewys Tank 2.JPG
    Chewys Tank 2.JPG
    889.6 KB · Views: 117

abclements

5 Year Member
If you cover the top of your tank in tin foil, you will trap that heat and it won't escape as easily... plus it will help control your humidity nicely.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You need night heat too. They need it dark, but still warm at night.

What is the temp directly under the basking bulb? Is that the area where it's 79? If yes, you need to fix this right away before he gets sick. You must add another bulb, go bigger on the wattage, or add a ceramic heating element.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Every enclosure is different. If you are at one hundred now try 150. Or just add another 100 CHE so you'll be able to keep him warm at night too.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
What type of fixture are you using? What type of bulb.. If your not using a spot type bulb in a brooder fixture your wasting wattage and heat.... Try a 150 watt heat bulb(about $7 bucks at home depot) if you cant afford a CHE get a red heat bulb.. At the very least a 150 watt spotlight bulb..

Love4tortoises

5 Year Member
Mission Viejo, CA
Go for a red heat buld at night ONLY if it is your last resort and you really cant afford a CHE because they need to have it dark at night. The light during the day simulates the daytime sun and the night is suppose to be dark like it would be in the desert... A CHE is best. Try looking on Amazon for cheaper prices.

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
The foil is great for keeping temps up and humidity, cover the lights and everything. I use 2 150 watt bulbs on my hot side and a red 75 watt bulb and a regular light on my cool side and a linear UVB bulb that goes over the whole enclosure. Also the screen blocks a lot of the light and prevents UVB from reaching your tort.

RiverRat

5 Year Member
Before following the above advice, please make sure you invest in a "gun type" thermometer. You can pick one up at Lowes or Home Depot for about $20, and it will tell you the temp where your tort is. The on glass thermometers are very inaccurate due to the glass conducting heat/cold. You can cook your tort trying to make the temps read what is being recommended if you rely on something that isn't reading what is truly INSIDE. Your room may be 68 in the winter, put a cigarette to your arm and it will still burn you, same will happen to your little buddy if you rely on temps taken from the glass

Status
Not open for further replies.