plants for enclosures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix Arizona
I have two Leopard Tortoise. I was wondering if any of you have any suggestions for plants i could put in the indoor enclosure? i was thinking one or two that can be in a small pot that they can pull leaves from as they grow over the pot would be nice. at first i was thinking of a aloe plant but don't want to risk them getting to much. any suggestions? or do you think aloe would be ok?

i am growing grass trays that i change out every other day for the winter until they can be outside again, but wanted something that will add decoration and a snack...

Thanks for always helping guys and gals... i love it here!:D

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Too much aloe (or any succulent/cacti) can make their stools runny. Also, mine don't seem to care for aloe. I use different types of greens; I also like radishes since they are fast growing.

Katherine

5 Year Member
I like aloe because it is hardy and reproduces rapidly plus it thrives with the wet conditions I keep my babies in but agree that too much could be an issue if they are left alone with it- mine destroy it every chance they get. Maybe pot the aloe and occasionally offer? I use mostly hibiscus, grass and weeds...I like dandelions for a little color if your enclosure isn't large to enough for hibiscus which get quite large. Just some thoughts, goodluck.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Sprouted seeds are great.
Houseplants; pothos, spider, christmas cactus (they love the flowers), aloe vera, etc. Yes, keep them in the pots submerged in the substrate, hopefully not in the areas they do their 'walkabout', so they don't get plowed over immediately...
I have a small wire pot rack that hangs over the side with a few fake and real plants in it too.
Have you seen this site?
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp

conservation

10 Year Member!
I keep Aloe and a variety of edible cactus in there enclosure. I also sprout a variety of grasses from seed. They seem to enjoy Aloe much more when it is all diced up into pretty, uniform pieces. Mind you, I keep them outdoors most of the time.

Stephen Egnatchik
www.SJPets101.com

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
haha i just got a Christmas cactus for Christmas. can they get the runs from it easily like with aloe? i am mostly looking for decoration indoors but i don't want to give them the runs if they end up eating too much. they have hibiscus, grass, grape vines and weeds in their outdoor enclosure. this is our first winter together and as i am watching them more indoors i noticed my enclosures are kind of sparse.. just cypress mulch, flagstone, water bowl and the quickly eaten grass trays. thought it would be nice to put a small potted plant in each enclosure to add some color so they can snack as what ever i put in there grows over the side. oo i like that link Lynne! i am checking it out now :)

conservation

10 Year Member!
My tortoises have never gotten the runs from Aloe but I start feeding it to them when they were babies. I think as long as you are also providing a high fiber sourse, i.e grass and cactus, they will not get runny stool. Edible cactus is high in fiber and encourages firm stools:). This is just from my personal experience raising my babies. I am planning on writing an article on a similar topic on my website later this week. I think it is awesome to encourage the feeding of freshly grown foods! I have been feeding my dogs raw meat for the last 7 years!

Stephen
www.sjpets101.com

Status
Not open for further replies.