Plants in tortoise enclosure

Greg Earnest

I read that aloe is a good one along with grape vine and I got a opuntia cactus, would a black monukka seedles grape be fine? And a golden toothed aloe?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have both Muscadine and Concorde grapes. Both leaves are eaten by my tortoises. They prefer the smallest, softest leaves.
I don't know about your grape type, but I'll bet it's just as good.
Aloe is O.K. because it is easy to grow and not harmful. But my tortoises wont eat it.

Greg Earnest

Thank you guys for the informative replies, one more question what kind of grass would you suggest planting or does it matter?

Last edited:

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Welcome to the Forum. I also have grape vines, spider plants and plaintain (the one that grows big leaves). They provide shade and a good source of food, plus they look pretty.

Prairie Mom

I've used regular lawn fescue and have also ordered organic barley and wheat seeds from Amazon. My tortoise loves them all. I would also add Hosta to your list of enclosure plants...yummy tortoise food! I've also had really great luck rotating in pumpkin, squash, and pea seeds.

bobc

5 Year Member
Cyprus
My greek tort has the walled veg garden to live in,plantain weed is his staple diet , as summer progresses the leaves get old and he starts on the grape leaves,loves to shelter under them too. As he gets older he eats a larger variety of veggies,never eats grass but loves maize leaves and beans.