My first Tortoise and want to him to be happy

zeus6626

Location (City and/or State)
hyderabad
Hi guys , I am AJ from India . Its been 2 days since I got a sulcate tortoise about 2.5 inch . As a first time owner I'm very curious about few concerns :

1)How many times shroud I feed my tortoise? I am feeding him thrice( mostly hibiscus leaves and flowers and grass ) , he is eating 50 % of it all times . The breeder has told me he was feeding the babies Mazuri. .

2)He loves to sleep under a basking lamp , I'm just scared if it gets too hot .

3)I am soaking him twice a day , pooped 2 twice I soaked him but didn't see him drink water at all .

4) As I am from India at nights our temperature go down only to 23*C (74F), should I switch on the basking lamp or no ?

I couldn't find the best basking lamp in Indian Amazon , if any Indian owners on the forum , pls help me where I can find the perfect basking lamp.

As it's just been two days , should I give him more time to adjust ? as its a new enclosure or am I worrying too much 😅😅

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hello and welcome, AJ from India. Calling on an expert here to advise you...@Tom

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Pictures of your tortoise and his enclosure would be useful!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi guys , I am AJ from India . Its been 2 days since I got a sulcate tortoise about 2.5 inch . As a first time owner I'm very curious about few concerns :

1)How many times shroud I feed my tortoise? I am feeding him thrice( mostly hibiscus leaves and flowers and grass ) , he is eating 50 % of it all times . The breeder has told me he was feeding the babies Mazuri. .

2)He loves to sleep under a basking lamp , I'm just scared if it gets too hot .

3)I am soaking him twice a day , pooped 2 twice I soaked him but didn't see him drink water at all .

4) As I am from India at nights our temperature go down only to 23*C (74F), should I switch on the basking lamp or no ?

I couldn't find the best basking lamp in Indian Amazon , if any Indian owners on the forum , pls help me where I can find the perfect basking lamp.

As it's just been two days , should I give him more time to adjust ? as its a new enclosure or am I worrying too much 😅😅
Hello and welcome!

1) Tortoises are grazers and should be able to eat as much of the right foods as they want daily. The foods you are feeding are great, and so is Mazuri. Try to add much more variety.

2) You should check the temperature under your basking lamp and make sure that it cannot get too hot ever. Lay a digital thermometer directly under the bulb and let it cook for an hour or more. Raise or lower the bulb, or use a different wattage bulb, to get the basking temperature right around 36C. After that, if the tortoise is staying under that heat lamp too much of the time, it means that the ambient temperature in the enclosure is too cool. Ambient temperature in the coldest corner of your enclosure should never drop below 26-27C day or night, and it is good if it rises to 30-33C during the heat of the day for a baby sulcata.

3) There is no harm in soaking twice a day, but it isn't necessary as long as your baby has access to drinking water and is kept in a humid closed chamber enclosure. Soaking rehydrates them.

4) The basking lamp needs to remain off at night because they need it dark, but you need a heat source for night at those temperatures. Ceramic heating elements or radiant heat panels serve this function. Either of them should bet set on a thermostat to maintain the whole enclosure at no lower than 26C at night.

Most of the care and housing info you find from most sources is going to be the wrong stuff. These next two threads have the right info. Read through them and make changes if necessary. Questions are welcome!

_The_Beast_

Canada
Welcome AJ! Tom's covered the care questions so I'll send a question your way: What did you name your little one?

Reactions: Tom