Not open for further replies.

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
O.K everyone, I need your advice....
Spring is here and I have a few new enclosures that
need planting. I use the grassland tortoise mix and sometimes sod,
Hosta and hybiscus (spelling) but a girl needs options. I have read the list
of acceptable plants and have even tried a few but i am not "in love" with
any of them....they all seem to get trampled and never recover.
I would like to start planting now so they have a few weeks to adjust before the torts go out.

QUESTION:
what plants to you guys love? I mean one you ALWAYS put in your enclosures? (I am in NJ so not all cactus is an option.)

THANK YOU!! :D

pam

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
Mine love to eat the wild violets they are hardy and pretty

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you can get rose-of-sharon established, it grows either into a bush or a tree (depending upon how you prune it) and its edible. It blooms all summer long and goes dormant during the winter. Its a great plant in the tortoise habitat.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Grape vines. Mulberry trees for very large enclosures. Try a russian tortoise mix. Lots of good broad leaf weeds in there.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I love creeping jenny and sedum for ground covers. They spread quickly and mine walk all over them and nothing stops them. I also love Rose of Sharon. A small fig tree. In the Summer I put lots of pansies, and petunia's. And of course dandelion.

Katherine

5 Year Member
terryo said:
I love creeping jenny and sedum for ground covers. They spread quickly and mine walk all over them and nothing stops them. I also love Rose of Sharon. A small fig tree. In the Summer I put lots of pansies, and petunia's. And of course dandelion.

+1. Under the fig tree is where my tortoises spend 80% of their time. Great shade cover, attractive tree, hard and edible.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
terryo said:

Which type of sedum Terry? There are many types available here, and apparently some of them are toxic.

Lunartwist

5 Year Member
Viola goes crazy for clover. Its like candy for her. She'll even ignore the bright yellow color of dandelion flowers (also a favorite) in order to devastate whole clover patches. You can find seed packs for clover at pretty much any Co-Op supply store. I think they sell the seed mixes for horses, but during the winter I grow some for a treat for Viola. In the summer, I set her out in mixed patches of clover, dandelion, and plantain, but she always goes for the clover first! :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I love my grape plants, my tortoises love them and they have been providing free food now for about 10 years.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I also am enjoying my grapevines. Just planted them in the Fall (soon after lost their leaves), and they have come back beautifullly. Loaded with leaves that my tort loves.

Status
Not open for further replies.