PLants??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boxies2Torts

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Got our sulcata hatchling tank set up and it just looks plain. What kind of plants can I put in the aquarium that if he eats wont harm them?

Thanks
Jeremey

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
What kind of tank? Most plants wont live in a tank. Improper lighting etc. You can place fake plants in it to make it look better to you. Put them in pots so your tort cant taste them.. Sulcatas are desert animals, they dont live in lush areas.
A glass aquarium is not the ideal type of enclosure. post pics, and we can give you ideas of what changes to make.
You can get that scenery on a roll that you see in fish/reptile tanks.. put it along the back and sides. This will give a look of plants and also give your tort a more secure feeling.

Boxies2Torts

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
This is Rocky belongs to my 5 year old we have a few more coming tuesday. There will be 3-4 torts housed in here.
tort014.jpg

Water and feeding area
tort016.jpg

Sand area He likes to play in the sand
tort017.jpg

Sleeping hide home
tort018.jpg

Tank shot
tort015.jpg

Length tank shot
tort019.jpg

Also I heard smaller tanks were bad I never heard anything about bigger tanks> I heard it was bad cause lack of air flow but in a tank this size with a screen top there is plenty of area for air flow. I wouldnt evan have the screen top on if i didnt have a 2 year old running aorund.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
One suggestion I have is replace the glass bowl with a terracotta plant saucer. The sides of those are shallower and easier for him to get traction on. I have seen backing with a desert scene (all be it looking like Utah) that you may find. Dead weathered branches and sticks may be appealing and would look similar to the Sahal.

Boxies2Torts

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Itort said:
One suggestion I have is replace the glass bowl with a terracotta plant saucer. The sides of those are shallower and easier for him to get traction on. I have seen backing with a desert scene (all be it looking like Utah) that you may find. Dead weathered branches and sticks may be appealing and would look similar to the Sahal.

Thats actually a Glass Plate with raised sides Picture dont show it well but full its only like 1/4" deep. I went to get saucers and they didnt have any were I went so instead of driving around I just grabbed this but I do plan on getting saucers instead they look nicer. He has been in and out of it with no problem though.

Question: I heard its not good to have sand but found that out after I bought the sand a few days ago. But though if I just kept it in a little area he would be alright. So is this alright?

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Hi Boxies2Torts, the problem with sand is if they ingest it, it can cause impaction. Try mixing it with some of the, is that moss? Or some dirt. Also if you have your UVB bulb over a screen the UVB rays will be filtered out. There should be nothing between the UVB bulb and your tort. Those rays are vary temperamental they will diminish to almost nothing if they have any type of barrier between them and your tort, screen and even glass impede the rays. I see you have a thermometer and hydrometer in the tank you should move them down to the level of your tort, so barely above the substrate. Careful of that hide. Little torts like to climb and if it falls off it may land upside down and be unable to right itself. Or as it seems large it may wedge itself between the tank and the hide and get stuck. What type of bulbs are you using for UVB and what for heat? Can you tell us your temps and humidity in your tank. And just for safety sake, I would go with the desert background and leave most things it can climb on out of the tank until it gets a bit bigger. No since in putting added dangers in the tank. Though it may look somewhat plain for now at least your little one will be safer.

Boxies2Torts

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Crazy1 said:
Hi Boxies2Torts, the problem with sand is if they ingest it, it can cause impaction. Try mixing it with some of the, is that moss? Or some dirt. Also if you have your UVB bulb over a screen the UVB rays will be filtered out. There should be nothing between the UVB bulb and your tort. Those rays are vary temperamental they will diminish to almost nothing if they have any type of barrier between them and your tort, screen and even glass impede the rays. I see you have a thermometer and hydrometer in the tank you should move them down to the level of your tort, so barely above the substrate. Careful of that hide. Little torts like to climb and if it falls off it may land upside down and be unable to right itself. Or as it seems large it may wedge itself between the tank and the hide and get stuck. What type of bulbs are you using for UVB and what for heat? Can you tell us your temps and humidity in your tank. And just for safety sake, I would go with the desert background and leave most things it can climb on out of the tank until it gets a bit bigger. No since in putting added dangers in the tank. Though it may look somewhat plain for now at least your little one will be safer.

It is cocunut husk. The temp and humidity gages are about as high as his shell is I didnt want it right on the soil cause they will knock them off. The screen top has 1/4 holes So i think the rays get through fine and he goes out side during the day for a bit also. tell it gets to cold. The humidity has been reading around 40-50% the temps are as fallows sand area 85 middle tank 92 hideout side 88
during the night the middle is around 84 the 2 ends are about 75. Water changed twice a day or more if needed. food every morning then took out at night mostly grass with some spring mix in it and calcium suplment.

Also took into acount of him possibly climping ore getting stuck on the side of the hide out so I placed large rocks on both sides. Im leaving the sand cause he seems to enjoy it and as long as I dont have it near his feeding area dont think he will eat it I would think he would have a higher chance of eatoing it if i mixed it and the rock there keeps the sand pretty seprate from the food and water.

mtdavis817254

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
waco tx
dont keep him in that cage to long.. and it might look big enough for 3 more but you will over crowd them pretty quik. the sand is a bad idea because sulcatas are grazers and they nibble at everything.. the thermometer and hydrometer are a LITLE to high it looked about 2 to 3 inches above the shell, and the sticky on the back of those is so strong he wont beable to move it.... oh and u need a uvb bulb also...good luck to your lil guy.. oh yea change the water dish...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Boxies2torts: Please don't think I'm picking on you, because I'm not, however, I want to point out that you came here and asked for our opinions on your tortoise set-up. Robyn (crazy1) is an experienced tortoise keeper. She gave you some good advice on your set-up, but you shot her down on everything she pointed out to you. Please have an open mind and take Robyn's answers into consideration. She knows what she is talking about, and she gave you good advice.

Yvonne

Boxies2Torts

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I didnt shoot her down on every thing I blocked the hid out are from hurting them. I also have had plenty of input that says as long as there is not alot of sand and its not in the feeding area its fine. Also the temp gages are lower now than in these pictures. and one of my temp gages in movable its digital so i move it around to check temp everywere. The screen top isnt like a mesh screen so I dont see how it filters the uv and he goes outside.

mtdavis817254 said:
dont keep him in that cage to long.. and it might look big enough for 3 more but you will over crowd them pretty quik. the sand is a bad idea because sulcatas are grazers and they nibble at everything.. the thermometer and hydrometer are a LITLE to high it looked about 2 to 3 inches above the shell, and the sticky on the back of those is so strong he wont beable to move it.... oh and u need a uvb bulb also...good luck to your lil guy.. oh yea change the water dish...

They will only be in there tell next spring then they will be outside. all 3 bulbs on top are UV

Thanks

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Yvonne thanks, and Boxies2torts, you did ask about plants. Plants planted in your tank will create a higher humidity than you may want plus you would need a uva bulb for plant growth, you can also put plants in there in small planters or pots, not the greatest looking but may work easy to water and replace if need be. If your tort is outside for a minimum of 20 min. a day in the sun it should be fine. I am always cautious of sand. But thats me. Most of my suggestions have been from experience and some very close calls. Just keep a close eye on your little one. Also just for info you can get plastic water bowls like for hermit crabs that have a step effect for your baby if you care to. I know you said the water plate was temp. I am just concerned that glass can be slick and it only take once for him to flip.... and disaster. Talk care and good luck. And as Yvonne said always keep an open mind-especially as we learn more and more about these amazing creatures.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
You mention that you are getting two new ones... from the same place as this one came from? Even tho they are the same type of tort, if they are coming from different places, they may be carrying different 'germs' ~ parasites and should be kept seperate for a bit. 6 months is recommended.
People have had no problem putting them together but people have also had some very sad tragic stories as well. :-(
Just another thing to consider! We are all learning new things everyday. Keep an open mind, use what works for you, but see what has and has not worked for others as well.

Boxies2Torts

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Crazy1 said:
Yvonne thanks, and Boxies2torts, you did ask about plants. Plants planted in your tank will create a higher humidity than you may want plus you would need a uva bulb for plant growth, you can also put plants in there in small planters or pots, not the greatest looking but may work easy to water and replace if need be. If your tort is outside for a minimum of 20 min. a day in the sun it should be fine. I am always cautious of sand. But thats me. Most of my suggestions have been from experience and some very close calls. Just keep a close eye on your little one. Also just for info you can get plastic water bowls like for hermit crabs that have a step effect for your baby if you care to. I know you said the water plate was temp. I am just concerned that glass can be slick and it only take once for him to flip.... and disaster. Talk care and good luck. And as Yvonne said always keep an open mind-especially as we learn more and more about these amazing creatures.

Thanks and yeah I have decided against the plants for reasons of the knocking them over the humidity and space.

Laura said:
You mention that you are getting two new ones... from the same place as this one came from? Even tho they are the same type of tort, if they are coming from different places, they may be carrying different 'germs' ~ parasites and should be kept seperate for a bit. 6 months is recommended.
People have had no problem putting them together but people have also had some very sad tragic stories as well. :-(
Just another thing to consider! We are all learning new things everyday. Keep an open mind, use what works for you, but see what has and has not worked for others as well.

Thanks for the concern. I am however getting them from the same place. We got this guy at a reptile expo that was here and we liked him so much we wanted a few more so I called the guy back he gave me his business card and will be getting 4 more from him. A freind wanted 1 and we are getting 3 more but have decided to only keep 2 or 3 cause there size at adults. I have someone local that is going to take the other 1 or 2 once i decide what im keeping. Wife wants each kid to have 1 we have 3 kids but i would prefer they had box turtles. We have 1/2 acre back yard they will be in when full grown so I think thats good space for 2 and a little small for 3.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Awsome!! take a look at my pasture enclosure pics in the enclosure section. I have taken in 4 rescues. 2 pounds to 50 pounds! They are in seperate areas. The two big guys are in an area of 60x100.

DozersMom

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Crazy1 said:

DITTO, That is exactly what i was going to say to you word for word!

You can grow in your home and place in the tank a few hours a day for grazing: Fescue, Bermuda, and Orchard Grass.

I love the sheep fescue i think it looks soo cool

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...Just wanted to check to see if the sand is reptil-sand, calci-sand, or some other specialty sand or if it is from the hardware store? The playsand (used for children's sandboxes) from Home Depot or Lowes is much safer. Specialty sand has calcium in it that torts & lizards lick, along with sand, thus, they get impacted. Even the play sand should be mixed with cypress mulch or organic soil. They still dig in it.
If you decide to keep 2 Sulcatas, when they are grown, 1/2 acre probably won't be big enough to feed them, especially if you don't seed it regularly!!

Good luck
Patsy

Status
Not open for further replies.