plastron ok?

cherylv275

Location (City and/or State)
Pune
Russian Tortoise

Been with me 22 years. He was a rescue and when we found him he was the same size though he had a prettier shell.

I noticed today that his plastron looks a bit odd. Is this okay ?It is firm to touch , no smell but looks like it is ‘separating’?

He is active, poops and pees normally.
I give him sunlight exposure 2 hours every day but since it is winter here now sometimes every other day

1gm Powdered cuttlebone on his lettuce every other day

I live in Qatar and not a lot of tortoise diet here.

He only eats lettuce and cucumber and eats well.

Attachments

• 3015DA73-40B5-4C2E-8907-9994148C8CEB.jpeg
    3015DA73-40B5-4C2E-8907-9994148C8CEB.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You must try to better his diet. Lettuce is very little if any nutrients. It's mostly water and so is cucumber. No wonder he hasn't grown any. He's not getting anything good for him to eat When he won't eat new foods, it's your responsibility to keep trying until he does. Usually chopping new foods up along with the regular foods and mixing together and spritzing with water will get him to eat new things. It's also your responsibility to feed as big a variety as possible for your area.
The shell looks dry. Soak in warm water 3 times a week at least for about 20 to 30 minutes. Better his diet so he actually gets nutrients.
Read the care sheet on this forum for his species.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Russian Tortoise

Been with me 22 years. He was a rescue and when we found him he was the same size though he had a prettier shell.

I noticed today that his plastron looks a bit odd. Is this okay ?It is firm to touch , no smell but looks like it is ‘separating’?

He is active, poops and pees normally.
I give him sunlight exposure 2 hours every day but since it is winter here now sometimes every other day

1gm Powdered cuttlebone on his lettuce every other day

I live in Qatar and not a lot of tortoise diet here.

He only eats lettuce and cucumber and eats well.
Hi Cheryl. Start here with this. At the end there is a care sheet for temperate species. Click on that for more info.