Plastron

TortNZ

Location (City and/or State)
Christchurch
Hi

Sorry, I have another question.
I have measured and weight my tort today and checked her overall condition of her shell.
The ridges on her plastron seem to be getting little wider and I wonder if that is normal or if she is maybe growing to fast?
I have attached two pix. The fist one ist her plastron now and the second one was what it looked like mid- Feb.

D6A7CC87-EC38-4AB2-AFB3-E8DA15ECE54E.png653DAE62-59DA-4B36-96E8-1E29BD60AB20.png

cheers
A

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This looks normal. They can't grow "too fast" if you are feeding the right foods and keeping them in the right conditions. That is an old way of thinking from back in the days when we mistakenly thought that pyramiding was caused by too much protein in the diet, or too much food. We know better now, but you still read that stuff in some places.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi

Sorry, I have another question.
I have measured and weight my tort today and checked her overall condition of her shell.
The ridges on her plastron seem to be getting little wider and I wonder if that is normal or if she is maybe growing to fast?
I have attached two pix. The fist one ist her plastron now and the second one was what it looked like mid- Feb.

View attachment 289476View attachment 289477

cheers
A
It's sort of like (but not exactly like) when a foal is born black but turns grey with age. Adult tortoises shells never look exactly like they looked when they first came out of the egg. The color expands, changes, is added to, is deleted.

I see nothing unusual with the color on your baby's plastron.

TortNZ

Christchurch
This looks normal. They can't grow "too fast" if you are feeding the right foods and keeping them in the right conditions. That is an old way of thinking from back in the days when we mistakenly thought that pyramiding was caused by too much protein in the diet, or too much food. We know better now, but you still read that stuff in some places.
Great,thanks Tom

TortNZ

Christchurch
It's sort of like (but not exactly like) when a foal is born black but turns grey with age. Adult tortoises shells never look exactly like they looked when they first came out of the egg. The color expands, changes, is added to, is deleted.

I see nothing unusual with the color on your baby's plastron.

Hi Yvonne
Sorry, my mistake with ridges I did not mean the black markings but the space between shell. New photo with arrows attached. Big enough to put my nail in and felt little soft.

TortNZ

Christchurch
Pix

Attachments

• 02B3DFD2-6BBE-4CBD-ABE6-4DC92194CBFB.jpeg
    02B3DFD2-6BBE-4CBD-ABE6-4DC92194CBFB.jpeg
    302.6 KB · Views: 8