Please help! (How to transport a tort from Wales to Scotland safely)

Florrie11

Location (City and/or State)
Milford haven
Our tortoise is a 9 year old Redfoot. He actually belongs to our son who joined the Navy when Artemis ( the tortoise) was 1 year old so we have looked after him ever since. Now our son is settled with a wife and child they want Artemis with them. The thing is, we live in South West Wales and they live in Scotland. We are hiring a van to move all his belongings as soon as we are allowed to travel again but I'm worried about how to transport Artemis. How to keep him moist and warm for a journey that is about 10 hours. Any advice would be most welcome.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Firstly, I would wait until we have summer here in the UK. Given the announcement just now that’s probably when we’ll be able to travel again anyway.

Yes he need warmth and humidity, but 10 hours of imperfect conditions are unlikely to cause harm.

And being a little cooler than usual will make him less active and the journey less stressful for him. Make sure he is in dry conditions - cold and damp may lead to a respiratory infection - and get your son to have as much set up as possible ready for your arrival so you can give Artemis a good long warm soak and then put him straight into his new home.

Make sure he doesn’t get too cold or too hot by carrying him in an insulated box (with air holes) and use a microwave heat pad for pets like this sort of thing (wrapped in a towel) if conditions are going to be less than about 15C

Attachments

• 492356D7-FCC3-4DE2-8133-5247A58BEAAB.jpeg
    492356D7-FCC3-4DE2-8133-5247A58BEAAB.jpeg
    53.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Florrie11

Milford haven
Firstly, I would wait until we have summer here in the UK. Given the announcement just now that’s probably when we’ll be able to travel again anyway.

Yes he need warmth and humidity, but 10 hours of imperfect conditions are unlikely to cause harm.

And being a little cooler than usual will make him less active and the journey less stressful for him. Make sure he is in dry conditions - cold and damp may lead to a respiratory infection - and get your son to have as much set up as possible ready for your arrival so you can give Artemis a good long warm soak and then put him straight into his new home.

Make sure he doesn’t get too cold or too hot by carrying him in an insulated box (with air holes) and use a microwave heat pad for pets like this sort of thing (wrapped in a to) if conditions are going to be less than about 15C
Thanks so much. I think you're right about not being allowed to travel until the summer which would be better. Also I'm going to miss him awfully so I don't mind waiting. I'll be pleased to get rid of all the rest of my son's stuff though ?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Thanks so much. I think you're right about not being allowed to travel until the summer which would be better. Also I'm going to miss him awfully so I don't mind waiting. I'll be pleased to get rid of all the rest of my son's stuff though ?
You could always offer to help fund the purchase of a new tortoise for your son. He might get one sooner that way ;)

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Honestly this isn as hard as it sounds. Get a cardboard box big enough for the tort to fit but not move around too much. Fill it with shredded newspaper or similar and put the tort in it for the trip, close the box so its dark inside and dont heat it.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
You could point out how much more fun it would be for his wife and child to see a baby tortoise develop and grow, and to be part of their family from the start - in any case Artemis would probably be stressed and unhappy leaving her home with you.
Good luck !
Angie