Help - Keeping a tortoise safely indoors

ellenlen23

Location (City and/or State)
London
Hi all,

I'm trusting that you guys know better than me as I'm a total novice.

My boyfriend has a tortoise which his parents have been housing for the past 5 years. She's kept partially outside (in a greenhouse) and then inside for the colder months pre and post hibernation.

Unfortunately they've just had the carpets cleaned and now no longer want to have her for the indoor months. We live in a flat which we rent and which doesn't (technically) allow pets, but is there any way we could put down a reptile carpet and let her out in our room for these months without damaging her wellbeing or our rented carpets?

Any advice welcome, I can't bear to think of him having to give her to the tortoise trust :(

Ellen

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome

What species of tortoise are we talking about? And how big/old is it? Both affect the care recommendations.

However, no tortoise should be roaming the floor. They need to be in a properly sized and setup enclosure. Away from it, they are away from the heat, humidity and UVB that they need to be healthy.

On the floor of the home their is a risk of being stepped on or escape is high - you only have to be distracted for a moment. Also tortoises are at risk of deliberately or accidentally ingesting something inedible - hair and dust bunnies are a particular problem, causing intestinal blockages - and we see all these things far too often on TFO

Reactions: Tom

ellenlen23

London
Thanks for your response - it's a Hermann tortoise and is 5yo, quite small I would say.

We're considering building a small enclosure inside to line with reptile carpet - so she'd have room to move around but wouldn't be out in the open and at risk of being stepped on/eating things she shouldn't.

I'm concerned about the warmth though - we can have the heating on but would she need a lamp or some more concentrated source of heat within the enclosure?

Sorry for all the questions, I want to make sure we can give her the best care !

Ellen

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Reptile carpet isn't suitable. Tortoises need an earthy substrate that they can dig into.

I suggest you read the following. They are written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Hermann's Care
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/

If you follow these, you will understand the care your tortoise actually need and it will be both happy and healthy.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Maybe you could let her stay in the greenhouse but add a heating lamp for the colder months? Seems like the easiest solution to me.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England