Please help identify these baby torts

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Look like little kinixys. They could be some homopus though. Photos are kinda blurry. Any chance of getting a clear photo of top and underside. Also what area in South Africa?

LPG

Look like little kinixys. They could be some homopus though. Photos are kinda blurry. Any chance of getting a clear photo of top and underside. Also what area in South Africa?

Hi tortadise

I've attached better pics, hopefully these will help. As for the area of South Africa, it's Richards bay, KwaZulu Natal.

image.jpg

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
That's what I suspected. They appeared to be for sure kinixys(hingeback) which they won't develope the hinge for 2-3 years. As far as species they're kinixys natalensis in my opinion. Although I have never seen a young natalensis these are most prevalent in your area and do not represent a spekii or zombensis which can be found in your area but are less likely to be spotted. They're incredibly awesome species.

Reactions: LPG

LPG

That's what I suspected. They appeared to be for sure kinixys(hingeback) which they won't develope the hinge for 2-3 years. As far as species they're kinixys natalensis in my opinion. Although I have never seen a young natalensis these are most prevalent in your area and do not represent a spekii or zombensis which can be found in your area but are less likely to be spotted. They're incredibly awesome species.[/QUOTE

Thank you so very much for your help in identifying them. I really do appreciate it. Is it possible to tell whether the one in the pic is a male or female? Thanks again

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
What does the beak look like? Could you snap a close up from the front? Sorry for all the questions. Just still debating whether or not it's a natal or zombensis. For sure a kinixys though. They're a lot like baby box turtles and will consume a wide variety of worms, greens, fruits, cactus and grasses.

LPG

What does the beak look like? Could you snap a close up from the front? Sorry for all the questions. Just still debating whether or not it's a natal or zombensis. For sure a kinixys though. They're a lot like baby box turtles and will consume a wide variety of worms, greens, fruits, cactus and grasses.[/QUOTE

Thank you so much for all your help and advise, I don't mind the questions at all. I've attached a close up of the beak.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    849.7 KB · Views: 30

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Natalensis all the way. So awesome seeing a young one. So did all of these hatch out in your backyard or what?

LPG

Natalensis all the way. So awesome seeing a young one. So did all of these hatch out in your backyard or what?

These baby torts hatched out in my husband's friend backyard and I now am the proud owner of one these babies. Thanks so much for your help in identifying them, I can now give my baby tort proper care in terms of diet etc.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
These baby torts hatched out in my husband's friend backyard and I now am the proud owner of one these babies. Thanks so much for your help in identifying them, I can now give my baby tort proper care in terms of diet etc.
Your very welcome. Just don't flaunt it locally. It's quite illegal to keep them. I'm sure you can apply for a permit possibly though. They love snails, worms too. These are the smallest of the hinge backs and will get no larger than 6" or so.

LPG

I didn't know that, I will definitely look into getting a permit ASAP. If not allowed then I will jus have to sadly return the little guy.

Last edited:

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
It is amazing to see these images of the tortoise. If you get a chance to we see some photos of the backyard or surrounding areas? If there are neonates there are adults. I can imagine you might get tired of all these image requests, but I must live vicariously through your camera. I was in the Western Cape a few years ago and got images of many tortoises, but not a single hingeback. Thanks for sharing.

On Face book there is a group called Cape tortoises, the moderator Steve M. has helped guide many people in the Western Cape to get a permit, maybe he knows someone in your province, or just be happy with your beautiful tortoise and share as you have, somewhat anonymously.

LPG

Hi Will

You're most welcome. These baby torts were not found in my backyard, they were found in husband's friend backyard. I will suggest to him to join this forum and make him aware of your pic requests:)