Please help Journey with his diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

darthsmozers

5 Year Member
After getting very good information from folks here about lighting and hibernation, I would like to start a new request for help: diet.

When we got Journey at the pet store back in October, his info sheet had some really odd items: tomatos, fruits, vegetables rich in colors like yellows and reds... I was skeptical, and did a lot of research to the point of being pretty nervous of what to feed him. I think the best advice was "would he eat a tomato in the desert?" Point taken.

His current diet is simple, and therefore probably very lacking: a mix of collard greens, red lettuce, and green lettuce. We use the calcium dust 2 or 3 times a week. We feed about 1 cup of greens eveyr morning. And, like clockwork, almost every morning he's waiting by his food dish to be fed. (Pretty cute, actually).

Is Journey's diet too simple? Just right? Wrong completely? Please suggest any changes. And if we're doing anything wrong, please explain why.

Thank you!

Weloveourtortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Gardner, MA
Sounds good. We feed charlie spring mix which is what you are doing we also give him cooked butternut squash about 2 times a week and uncooked zucchini (which i have to hand feed because he wont eat on his own) I will mix it up with mustard green, beet greens, some kale. He wont eat the eddible flowers or dandilion greens that alot of other torts love. Good luck w/everything.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I feed my group of Russians, along with the other Testudo species that I keep a large and constantly changing variety of foods that consist of about 80-85% good quality greens and the rest a variety of vegetables. The vegetables being fed once a week. The greens include, but are not limited to: Clover, plantain, crown vetch, chicory, endive, escarole, dandelion, mustard, beet & collard greens, green leaf, red leaf and romaine lettuce, parsley, spinach, kale and more. The vegetables consist of, but are not limited to: squash, pumpkin, various beans, peas, carrot, sweet potato, corn and more. An occasional bit of fruit is not going to harm them. It just shouldn't be a part of their regular diet for Testudo species. Some of the foods listed are seasonal. During the summer months mine get no grocery store greens because I am able to pick their food (weeds) locally. I have started using Mazuri tortoise chow with greens at one feeding per week with mixed reviews from the tortoises. My Russians don't seem to care for it and basically waste it instead of eating it.
The above listed items are fed with great variety and none on a continuous, every feeding time basis. Some items such as kale, cabbage, spinach, corn and few others are fed less frequently and more sparingly because various associated warning such as oxilac acid content. Better safe than sorry. I feed all of my tortoises every other day and they have timothy hay to graze on 24/7, which many of them do.
I have also found over the years that by feeding a good quality, constant variety of foods I have found no need for supplemental vitamins. The only supplement mine get is a source of calcium carbonate either in the form a powder for small tortoises or cuttlebone broken up for larger tortoises. I do not sprinkle calcium on their foods as many keepers do but always have it available seperately on the side for them to regulate how much they need. Different tortoises will eat different amounts depending upon their need at the time. In general, I my Russians, both adults and young rarely ever consume any calcium. I also soak mine to drink twice a week and mist their enclosure twice daily, giving it a good soaking about twice a week. The room that I keep them in during the winter is very dry due to several lights being on which is why I spray them so often. From mid April through late October they are outdoors 24/7.
The majority of my adult tortoises have been here for over 15 years, a few for nearly 25 years. In that time I have never had a major health problem with any of them and none have ever been to a veterinarian.
Keep in mind this is how I've had success for many years keeping my tortoises. Other peoples advice will vary or be completely different. There are a lot of other good methods and ideas on this forum and other sources. I always suggest to people to find what methods or comibnations work best for them taking into consideration the tortoise's health and well being first and then their own resources and schedules. They all have to be able to work well together for the tortoise(s) to be content.

darthsmozers

5 Year Member
Weloveourtortoise,
where can we find dandelion greens? (Other than outside where our apartment most likely uses chemicals). Is that something we can plant indoors with ease?

GBtortoises,
Can you tell me more about the Timothy hay? I've heard about it in passing, but we haven't bought any yet.

Also, can you explain the misting? Is it recommended to do that and if so how often? We put him in room temp water once a week (usually on the weekend) to let him soak for a few minutes. As a bonus, whether good or not, he's guaranteed to use the restroom multiple times in a soaking. It's quite a process. Sure keeps him regular though (again, for better or worse).

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
England
I dont know much about russians,but timothy hay is a low calcium hay which is suitable for tortoises. My tortoise is a herman, coming up to two years, she will eat bits of timothy hay occasionally - i always have a small pile available. You can buy it at your local pet shop,and its no more expensive than normal hay (i also use the hay for my rabbit,as i dont want to have two kinds for no real reason)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Gary:

Thank you so much for that nice list of foods for Russian tortoises.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The only retail source I am aware of for dandelion greens (and the other greens listed) is a typical grocery store. Keep in mind that dandelion greens should only be one small part of their diet and not a sole source of food. I buy from a grocery store because I have to once the snow flies here. Whenever possible I pick natural foods for them. But I also live in a very rural area where people don't have manicured lawns or worry about weed control. I have no idea how well dandelion may or may not grow indoors, I've never tried it. Hopefully someone else on the forum can help you with that question.
I mist my tortoise enclosures twice daily to maintain a better humidity level since the room they are is very dry much of the time. It also helps keep dust down in their enclosures. Ambient humidity and a tortoise being hydrated are two different things. I believe that neglecting either has the potential to cause dehydration. I use a simple hand pump sprayer, one of the larger ones used for garden chemicals or fertilizers. A new, clean one obviously! Again, everyone has their own methods. Because the room that mine are in does get dry I feel it is necessary to mist mine twice daily. Usuallly at night I will spray them a little heavier knowing that it will increase their nighttime humidity with the lights being out. I think that is when it is most beneficial. The morning misting somewhat simulates a morning dew which many tortoises may be accustomed to. You bring up a good point about them defecating in their water once they drink. I find that a good time to check their stool for anything out of the ordinary. Voiding their waste each time they drink is a good thing. I don't think it can happen too much, they are after all, wastes, which under normal circumstances have had the majority of useful nutrients already used from them.

darthsmozers said:
Weloveourtortoise,
where can we find dandelion greens? (Other than outside where our apartment most likely uses chemicals). Is that something we can plant indoors with ease?

GBtortoises,
Can you tell me more about the Timothy hay? I've heard about it in passing, but we haven't bought any yet.

Also, can you explain the misting? Is it recommended to do that and if so how often? We put him in room temp water once a week (usually on the weekend) to let him soak for a few minutes. As a bonus, whether good or not, he's guaranteed to use the restroom multiple times in a soaking. It's quite a process. Sure keeps him regular though (again, for better or worse).

darthsmozers

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Gary:

Thank you so much for that nice list of foods for Russian tortoises.

Agreed, thank you for your input!
Are there any greens to avoid? I've heard spinach and kale should be avoided... ?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
darthsmozers-I don't want to keep hogging this post, hoping someone else with some Russian tortoise info. will add their methods too. So to keep it short-I don't avoid feeding them any foods such as spinach or kale, I just feed those items in moderation and less frequently. While they do come with some concerns, they also have beneficial vitamins to offer. I believe the key is quality and variety at all times.

darthsmozers

5 Year Member
GBtortoises said:
The only retail source I am aware of for dandelion greens (and the other greens listed) is a typical grocery store. Keep in mind that dandelion greens should only be one small part of their diet and not a sole source of food. I buy from a grocery store because I have to once the snow flies here. Whenever possible I pick natural foods for them. But I also live in a very rural area where people don't have manicured lawns or worry about weed control. I have no idea how well dandelion may or may not grow indoors, I've never tried it. Hopefully someone else on the forum can help you with that question.
I mist my tortoise enclosures twice daily to maintain a better humidity level since the room they are is very dry much of the time. It also helps keep dust down in their enclosures. Ambient humidity and a tortoise being hydrated are two different things. I believe that neglecting either has the potential to cause dehydration. I use a simple hand pump sprayer, one of the larger ones used for garden chemicals or fertilizers. A new, clean one obviously! Again, everyone has their own methods. Because the room that mine are in does get dry I feel it is necessary to mist mine twice daily. Usuallly at night I will spray them a little heavier knowing that it will increase their nighttime humidity with the lights being out. I think that is when it is most beneficial. The morning misting somewhat simulates a morning dew which many tortoises may be accustomed to. You bring up a good point about them defecating in their water once they drink. I find that a good time to check their stool for anything out of the ordinary. Voiding their waste each time they drink is a good thing. I don't think it can happen too much, they are after all, wastes, which under normal circumstances have had the majority of useful nutrients already used from them.

darthsmozers said:
Weloveourtortoise,

GBtortoises,

Thank you for more information! Would you recommend some type of humidity gauge?

GBtortoises said:
darthsmozers-I don't want to keep hogging this post, hoping someone else with some Russian tortoise info. will add their methods too. So to keep it short-I don't avoid feeding them any foods such as spinach or kale, I just feed those items in moderation and less frequently. While they do come with some concerns, they also have beneficial vitamins to offer. I believe the key is quality and variety at all times.

Thanks!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
I use digital humidity gauges, available in Wal-Mart, Radio Shack and similar stores. They can vary so don't take what they read as the gospel. But they are a good indicator of general humidity levels.

darthsmozers

5 Year Member
GBtortoises said:
I use digital humidity gauges, available in Wal-Mart, Radio Shack and similar stores. They can vary so don't take what they read as the gospel. But they are a good indicator of general humidity levels.

And what level should the humidity be at?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
I try to maintain ambient humidity at 55-60% when they're indoors. With hatchlings and younger tortoises I keep the areas that they prefer to bury themselves in much damper.

Have you checked russiantortoise.org yet? Good information.

darthsmozers

5 Year Member
GBtortoises said:
I try to maintain ambient humidity at 55-60% when they're indoors. With hatchlings and younger tortoises I keep the areas that they prefer to bury themselves in much damper.

Have you checked russiantortoise.org yet? Good information.

Thanks!
I have been there, great information. Lots of it, too. Just wanted to get opinions here too :)

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
As far as greens, besides those that can cause goiter in large amounts (kale), you also want to limit those that are high in oxalic acid (spinach is the highest, but dandelion/mustard/collard/radish all have significant amounts). Spring mix is generally low, except for if it has red chard and mizuna, so that is why I feel it is a great diet for feed maybe 60% spring mix and 40% a rotation of other greens (which may be higher in oxalic acid; turnip greens are one of the only greens I have found besides the lettuces that is low in oxalic acid). I mainly shop at my local organic grocer as they have the best variety, and I try to feed my little guy organic because tortoises can be sensitive to the chemicals. The price difference of $3 vs. $2 isn't bad because he doesn't eat much. Spring mix from Costco or Trader Joes since we go through a lot as he humans do salad every night at my house.

darthsmozers

5 Year Member
tortoisenerd said:
As far as greens, besides those that can cause goiter in large amounts (kale), you also want to limit those that are high in oxalic acid (spinach is the highest, but dandelion/mustard/collard/radish all have significant amounts). Spring mix is generally low, except for if it has red chard and mizuna, so that is why I feel it is a great diet for feed maybe 60% spring mix and 40% a rotation of other greens (which may be higher in oxalic acid; turnip greens are one of the only greens I have found besides the lettuces that is low in oxalic acid). I mainly shop at my local organic grocer as they have the best variety, and I try to feed my little guy organic because tortoises can be sensitive to the chemicals. The price difference of $3 vs. $2 isn't bad because he doesn't eat much. Spring mix from Costco or Trader Joes since we go through a lot as he humans do salad every night at my house.

Thanks! Added Escerole to his diet rotation, so we now have red and green lettuce, collard, and escerole to choose from, leaning heavier on the lettuce and lighter on the collard/escerole. Will use this thread on our next shopping trip, too. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.