Please help! know nothing about setting up enclosure!

Jaid10

Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hi guys! I am 11 years old and have two torts. I am moving my 10 inch Sulcata tort into a 8 by 4 enclosure! Sadly her current situation is not going to do and I don’t have the proper lighting nor supplies. I have around $50 to spend and need some guidance on lighting and supplies for it. Here’s what I believe I need and need some help to find (tell me if I need more);
-a few lights, please send me a link of some I need for the enclosure and the watts

- for food I think I’m going to plant some seeds for grass and weeds, please help me find the right kind of seeds so I can start a garden for everything also I think I’m going to get a hay bale and I don’t know what kind of hay to get

-I think I might need an automatic mister so a link to one of those would be nice

-I need a hide and a mist hide so maybe some pointers on that would be nice

- I would also like some ideas/ links for decorating, substrate, and heat and monitoring the heat and moisture

Am I missing anything? Also any pointers for care, and what temps and humidity I need. The biggest things I don’t know about is what lights/ watts to get and what plants to grow(I’m in Utah). I will have more money soon. Thank you so much for your help everyone!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I can only tell you what I use, and I don't know any scientific facts, just what I've been told to use. But I can tell you, $50 isn't going to be enough.

For UVB I use the T-5 tube type fluorescent light:

T-5 fluorescent bulb.jpg
You can buy the light bulb plus the fixture to mount it in at lightyourreptiles.com

I don't need much heat because my enclosure is a Vision cage and it's all closed up, so what little heat the fluorescent light gives off, plus a RHP is all that's needed to heat my enclosure.

My RHP sits on a couple of bricks and is the roof of the tortoise's cave:

radiant heat panel.jpg
Closed chamber 5-7 a.jpg

Jaid10

USA
I can only tell you what I use, and I don't know any scientific facts, just what I've been told to use. But I can tell you, $50 isn't going to be enough.

View attachment 269791
You can buy the light bulb plus the fixture to mount it in at lightyourreptiles.com

I don't need much heat because my enclosure is a Vision cage and it's all closed up, so what little heat the fluorescent light gives off, plus a RHP is all that's needed to heat my enclosure.

View attachment 269793
View attachment 269794
Ok. How big is your enclosure? Do you know anything about what watts I would need for the size?

Jaid10

USA

View attachment 269791

View attachment 269793
View attachment 269794
Also I wasn’t able to find the RHP, and the other one. Can you send me a link?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ok. How big is your enclosure? Do you know anything about what watts I would need for the size?
The Vision cage is about 2'x4'. I don't know "watts" because like I said, I use the T-5 fluorescent tube.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can find the light and the fixture to mount the light in at lightyourreptiles.com

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
Hi guys! I am 11 years old and have two torts. I am moving my 10 inch Sulcata tort into a 8 by 4 enclosure! Sadly her current situation is not going to do and I don’t have the proper lighting nor supplies. I have around $50 to spend and need some guidance on lighting and supplies for it. Here’s what I believe I need and need some help to find (tell me if I need more);
-a few lights, please send me a link of some I need for the enclosure and the watts

- for food I think I’m going to plant some seeds for grass and weeds, please help me find the right kind of seeds so I can start a garden for everything also I think I’m going to get a hay bale and I don’t know what kind of hay to get

-I think I might need an automatic mister so a link to one of those would be nice

-I need a hide and a mist hide so maybe some pointers on that would be nice

- I would also like some ideas/ links for decorating, substrate, and heat and monitoring the heat and moisture

Am I missing anything? Also any pointers for care, and what temps and humidity I need. The biggest things I don’t know about is what lights/ watts to get and what plants to grow(I’m in Utah). I will have more money soon. Thank you so much for your help everyone!!!

Thereis a comprehensive guide 2.o of care for sullys and leopards.Has all the ideas you need and allows you to decide what is best for you and your torts. Go to gardening store and buy some bermuda grass seeds etc. I filled my sullys cage with fine orchid soil about 2 in deep and planted grass right in the tank. Do lots of research to stretch your $50

Jaid10

USA
Thereis a comprehensive guide 2.o of care for sullys and leopards.Has all the ideas you need and allows you to decide what is best for you and your torts. Go to gardening store and buy some bermuda grass seeds etc. I filled my sullys cage with fine orchid soil about 2 in deep and planted grass right in the tank. Do lots of research to stretch your $50
Ok! I just don’t know where to do my research, no one has been answering my posts, thank you for answering!