Please help me ID my tortoise!

rayychh

Hi,
Im new to this forum and to tortoises. (My husband has had tortoises before but he had a red-foot)

So a couple of days ago we got a new tortoise.. We were told that he is a he and a spur-thighed tortoise, he is about 11 months old.

Upon a bit of research i became interested as to what subspecies he is ?? and also if anyone could verify that he definitely is a boy!?

Also could anyone recommend substrates etc for him in relation to his species/ subspecies as I want to make sure I'm doing everything right for him!

By the way im in the UK if that makes any difference :)

Thanks in advance ImageUploadedByTortForum1394192046.249377.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1394192060.765621.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1394192074.638583.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1394192088.702618.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1394192105.418459.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1394192118.788340.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1394192131.840542.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). I am not very good with sexing of and can't do subspecies, so I will just say hello welcome you and let the ones that can give a more accurate answer, do the rest:D

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ, USA . There are a lot of very smart people here that will be very happy to help you but they don't get up this early . ( smile )

rayychh

Thanks guys, will see what other people think when its a more reasonable hour where you are!!

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
I'm not a Greek tort type- person, but SHE is very pretty. I'm making my guess based upon the small tail. I'm going to try and post the link to the Greek care sheet in a moment.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/showthread.php?tid=87146

On there, you can see the difference types for yourself and make a inference from there. Good luck!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

rayychh

Thanks for the info going to give that a read shortly! I agree the tails pretty small but so is the tortoise at only 11 months, with him/her being so young its so hard to tell!

tortoiselady

5 Year Member
S. CA
Hello,
Very cute Greek. Too young to guarantee gender in my opinion.
:tort:

rayychh

Hi guys had a look at pics and think he could be a tunisian spur thigh as apposed to ibera. Its so hard to say as the biggest giveaway would be the size yet he is not fully grown. Any ideas??

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Hi and welcome!

I also think that you got a North African subspecies of gracea.

rayychh

Also you cant really tell from the pics but he has yellow marking on top of his head. And his limbs are yellow.
His frontal vertebrae scute is angular / squarish as apposed to round.
I agree that he is either an ibera or tunisian but concerned as although he wont need to yet we need to know whether he should hibernate or not?!

Sorry to keep bugging you all! Just an update the guy i got him from just got in touch he says hes tunisian which confirms my suspicions.