please help. new tortoise ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esme and Torty

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
I have a 10 year old male Horsefield tortoise and I want to get him a friend. I have a few questions I would really appreciate if someone can answer. :tort:

He is Mediterranean tortoise can he live with another Mediterranean ?

can males live together ?

If I got a female is that a bad idea ?

How do you introduce and move in a new tortoise ?

Should I get a baby tortoise or slightly older one ?

Thank you so much if anyone can answer anything and have any other tips or advise I haven't covered.
Thank you !! Esme and Torty xxx

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Im not familiar with this type of tortoise. But its my understanding Torts are solitary animals whod rather not have companions. I have heard that occasionally they do well in groups of three or more but hardly ever with just two. :)

Sent from my X501_USA_Cricket using TortForum mobile app

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
And I don't believe species should ever be mixed.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Harmony usually does not reside with a pair...one will always be forced to submit to a dominant one....24/7.

Your current tort would likely be as happy with a life size river rock placed in his enclosure....if any tortoise urges arise, he can handle his business with his rock solid relationship....:p

Rural

5 Year Member
Denmark
You could get him another russian. My two russians has been living together for a couple years (I got them as a pair a couple months ago) and they never had any problems living together. That being said, it depends on the personalities of the tortoises, some are better with other tortoises than others. Getting a baby will be a bad idea, adult tortoises and babies is a bad mix as far as I know, also it's almost impossible seeing the gender on babies and males don't live together very well, especially not with females around. Getting a somewhat same size or larger female (They grow larger than males) would probably be the best choice if you want a tankmate for him. Introducing a new tortoise you just want to add it to the terrarium/cage/whatever-you-keep-them-in, and you want to keep an eye on them the first couple of weeks to make sure both tortoises are fine with living together. BUT, he doesn't need a playmate, tortoises live just fine on their own.

Hope it helps. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.