Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmynm26

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have recently found a Russian tortoise when I was in Lebanon. The guy in the store said that it just came from kazakhstan. The tortoise looked so cute but it wasn't very happy as it tried to escape from it's box. Since I work in Kazakhstan I decided to buy it and take him with me. Next to Almaty there is a place for Russian tortoises, I had to go there for a wedding once and saw at least 6 on the side of the road.

I want to free my tortoise Fred. He is not happy coz I have an apartment and I have no idea how to take care of him. I made a pretty big box (4' X 3') on my balcony with direct sunlight. He is very active but still tries to escape. I also take him out sometimes and let him do his own thing.

My question is, do you think that he would be ok if I put him back in the wild? I was planning on taking care of him this winter and freeing him next spring. I just hope he didn't lose his instincts or something. Please let me know if you have any tips or comments.

ps: The only thing I can find at the supermarket for him is romain lettuce and carrots. There is nothing in this country!! what else should I feed him. A pet shop gave me some dry food to mix with water. Please help me out, I want him to make it until I free him.

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Coventry, England
If hes been in captivity for along time you cant release him into the wild again.
if you make a large table top enclosure, and plant grass, weeds and edible plants in their he will be happy as he will have natural grazing and so on.
Then just bring him indoors in a cardboard box when its cold.
Through winter if he hibernates you will need to go through hibernation stages.
But if he doesnt youll have to buy uvb light and heat light for winter.

never feed that dry food stuffits bad.
Feed grass, dandelion, clover, and other weeds.
Romaine lettuce is ok, and so is carrots.

jimmynm26

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks alot!!! Will do!!!

I was told that he has only been in captivity for about 5 months now. Is that a long time? I like him alot but I just think that he wouldbe happier in his own habitat with other tortoises. Let me know what you think.

I got him carrots and he loves it!! I will stop the dry food. thanks for your help

T-P said:
If hes been in captivity for along time you cant release him into the wild again.
if you make a large table top enclosure, and plant grass, weeds and edible plants in their he will be happy as he will have natural grazing and so on.

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
Hmmm, im not sure if thats too long.
it sounds little, but to a tortoise it could be a very long time.

How large is the tortoise?

B

Bansh88

Where would you be releasing him? As long as it was an extremely similar area, I bet the would be fine.
Usually the biggest concerns with "re-release" is the possibility of the animal bringing diseases into the wild population. But if it was the same area, it shouldn't be a concern.

jimmynm26

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
His shell is about 15 cm long. I can't figure out how old he is, is there a way to do that??

also I have been told that he is a Kazakh tortoise and not Russian but I have looked online and he can't find anything about that.

I would be releasing him in a place called Talikurgan about 150km from Almaty, it is a place full of Russian Tortoises. It is completely flat with little bushes and grasses growing everywhere. Really hot in the summer time and cool in the winter. I heard it was the only area with tortoises in Kz. I checked it out a while ago, I saw a bunch of tortoises but they were a lot bigger than mine (Maybe 23cm or so). I have attached his pics.

Attachments

• fred 1.JPG
    fred 1.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 41
  • fred2.JPG
    fred2.JPG
    14.8 KB · Views: 33

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
well if hes only 15cm, he could be anything between 2 years old and 6 years old.
I got a 4 year old hermanns whos only 4 inches long

Tamie

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
You cannot release this tortoise back into the wild I am afraid - no one can say 100% what the tortoise has been subjected to. As you do not know it's exact history you could be jeopardising both your tortoise and those in the wild. Please try and accomodate the tortoise, a tortoise table with deep substrate and heat/uvb lamp.

Try and avoid feeding carrot as it acts as a wormer in tortoises. Can you purchase seeds and grow your own weeds if things are so sparce there?

Tamie

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I would not release him, he has been captive for to long already. I agree with previous posts, build a large enclosure with lots of soil to bury in and then get the uvb bulb and a basking bulb for him. Also there are plenty of sites online that sell seeds so you can plant what he would eat when he was in the wild. Give him some hide spots and if you can find it some timothy hay. Once you get seeds and they start to grow and he gets to know you and his home he should settle down a little.

jimmynm26

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have made a new, bigger habitat for Fred. He is not as lethargic as he used to be. As a matter of fact, he is so hyper throughout the day. He moves all over his habitat and hen it's feeding time, he really goes crazy on his food. It's really cute.
I noticed that his shell is getting ripples on it around the edges. It is also getting darker. Is that a good sign?? when I got him his shell was very flat, almost glossy. Now I am starting to notice some ripples.
I am living in kazakhstan right now with him and I was wondering if I should make him hibernate. He seams to be in great shape. The winters here get really cold (can go down to -20 C). I also don't know if he is too thin or too fat. How heavy should a turtle be? I guess he weighs a little less than a rock his size. If I should make him hibernate, when should I do that? I have tried to go to the russian tortoise site but it is not working. Sorry for asking so many questions. I just want to make sure that Fred has a good life.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
My personal opinion is to not hibernate any animal I have not had for a year. After that year only if the animal is healthy and it can be correctly hibernated. So my vote is not to hibernate him this year. You need the time to be sure he is healthy, growing, eating and eating correctly, ect..,

Ripples? Any way to do a picture? Could be something as simple and positive as new growth or something more serious. Can we get more details on exactly where it's locate, what color is it, ect..,

Rees2

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Santa Cruz California
I don't now much about russian tortoises but maybe you tortoise is trying to escape to find a female?If it's a male.But as Jaz said "Don't make too much of your tortoise trying to "escape" his container."

JAZ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
RE: Please help-table

JAZ said:
jimmynm26 said:
Hello: Found that address to build the table:

/table.html
http://www.unc.edu/~dtkirkpa/stuff/ttfig1.gif
/ttfig2.gif

the illustration is a little hard to see but basically they put
5 plant trays into plywood with appropriate sized holes above
a frame. The only addition I would make, is A top guard around
the top to deter climbing up and over. (I swear my box turtle
carries his own slide ruler to plan his escapes.)

This site had lot of fun turtle fancier topics to browse.
Happy cruising. jojo

Here's a question from me: I'm sure I'm accessing this forum the
hard way, but don't know shortcuts. Is there a way to make it
a one button access from my space?
To find my thread I've had to go to my E-mail and look up the
sender from there. Anyone have any hints?
Thanks, jojo
--------------------

Don't make too much of your tortoise trying to "escape" his container.
All species of turtles and tortoises will attempt to find weakness
and angles to "get to the other side." (Whether it's a big yard or small container.) With time there comes a point when the turtle is relaxed and knows what to expect of you.
Your Tortoise may have become domesticated enough that it will walk up to a stranger when it wants food. That person might not be as loving as you.
There's tons of info. on diets and care Some might show weeds
and flowers that grow there that may be a food source.
Hibiscus leaves and flowers, 3 leaf clover, banana.
dandelions, papaya, fruits, tomatoes.
A hide box might make him feel more relaxed.
The table is a great alternative. I'll see if I can find the web site,
'cause I know I have it in my files somewhere.
Good luck to you and Fred. jojo

I have recently found a Russian tortoise when I was in Lebanon. The guy in the store said that it just came from kazakhstan. The tortoise looked so cute but it wasn't very happy as it tried to escape from it's box. Since I work in Kazakhstan I decided to buy it and take him with me. Next to Almaty there is a place for Russian tortoises, I had to go there for a wedding once and saw at least 6 on the side of the road.

I want to free my tortoise Fred. He is not happy coz I have an apartment and I have no idea how to take care of him. I made a pretty big box (4' X 3') on my balcony with direct sunlight. He is very active but still tries to escape. I also take him out sometimes and let him do his own thing.

My question is, do you think that he would be ok if I put him back in the wild? I was planning on taking care of him this winter and freeing him next spring. I just hope he didn't lose his instincts or something. Please let me know if you have any tips or comments.

ps: The only thing I can find at the supermarket for him is romain lettuce and carrots. There is nothing in this country!! what else should I feed him. A pet shop gave me some dry food to mix with water. Please help me out, I want him to make it until I free him.

transtort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
jimmynm26 said:
Thanks alot!!! Will do!!!

I was told that he has only been in captivity for about 5 months now. Is that a long time? I like him alot but I just think that he wouldbe happier in his own habitat with other tortoises. Let me know what you think.

I got him carrots and he loves it!! I will stop the dry food. thanks for your help

T-P said:

I would stop feeding the carrots.You should be avoiding all vegetables.I would join the Tortoise Trust and read up on the dietry needs of the Russian tortoise.Where in the wild,in its native country,would the tort find Carrots?

Taylor,why do you recommend the carrot.

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
I would stop feeding the carrots.You should be avoiding all vegetables.I would join the Tortoise Trust and read up on the dietry needs of the Russian tortoise.Where in the wild,in its native country,would the tort find Carrots?

Taylor,why do you recommend the carrot.

I read up on a tortoise site that carrots are edible, and so is romaine lettuce - but not as a daily meal.
These vegetables are only ok to feed when weeds, flowers and plants aren't available.
other wise you would feed a proper stable diet.

Edible for russian tortoise from the russiantortoise.org webstie:

GREENS
Most grocery stores have a decent selection of greens that Russians readily eat. Ideally the greens should be organic and pesticide free. However this is the real world and not all tortoise keepers have access to "ideal" food. So, I have this section as a starting point for a varied diet. The following greens are easily found in my local stores:
Romaine lettuce
Red and green leaf lettuce
Endive
Escarole
Radicchio
Turnip greens
Mustard greens
Kale
Collards
Spring Mix (mixed salad greens)
cabbage (on occasion)

With the above veggies one can develop a good diet. Once again (and I can't stress this enough) variety is the key!
Don't feed the same food day in and day out. Mix varieties and choose a different green as the basis every few days.

OTHER GOOD CHOICES
Some other favorites of my tortoises that are available:
Hibiscus (flowers and leaves)
Hosta
Sedum
Mulberry leaves
Hen and Chicks
Ice Plants
Prickly pear flowers, fruit and pads (burn the spines off)
Dandelion
Plantain (not the banana type fruit....the weed plantago major)
Mallow (flowers and leaves)
Henbit
Rose (flowers and leaves....make sure no systemic pesticides were used)
Chrysanthemum flowers
Cornflowers Plagiobothrys ssp
Forsythia (flowers and leaves)
Dayflower Commelina diffusa (flowers and leaves)
Californian Poppy escholzia

Make sure all are pesticide and herbicide free.

AVOID
The following food items should be avoided for a variety of reasons. there are many books and groups that go into great detail...so I won't repeat them here. At the end of the page are a few links).
All fruit (although fruit is often recommended, its sugar content can lead
to parasite blooms....just not worth it) the exception is apples due to the high quantity of pectin....but still not frequently.
Iceberg lettuce
Bok Choy
All grains (including bread, pasta etc)
Dog and cat food
Meat
All human food except what's been listed as "good"
Pellet type foods (An often overlooked factor of pyramiding is grain based diets. These are the pellet food that some claim to be essential to health. They typically contain soy, wheat and or rice. These are high in omega 6 fatty acids which has a negative effect on health. They also have an acidifying effect which causes a leaching of bone. They are high in phytate which binds calcium and other minerals. They also have an unfavorable ca/ph ratio and a low ca/mg ratio which has a negative impact on calcium metabolism. Grains alter Vit D metabolism. Diets high in grains can have a negative impact on bone growth in spite of adequate exposure to sunshine. (http://www.sawellnesscenter.com//nutrition/Diet/Cereal article-1.pdf)

http://russiantortoise.org/russiantortoisediet.htm[/b]

JAZ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
How is your nutritionally challenged tortoise doing? It must be so hard
when 99% of normal produce is not easily available. It presents a
unique chance for you to educate some of us back here in the states.
Some kids or old timers there might have insight to some of the natural
weeds and plants that Russian torts might find in the natural environment. (Which is really the best diet if you can find it). Take pictures to share if you find anything of value as far as natural food. Glad to hear your
little guy is active. jojo

jimmynm26 said:
I have made a new, bigger habitat for Fred. He is not as lethargic as he used to be. As a matter of fact, he is so hyper throughout the day. He moves all over his habitat and hen it's feeding time, he really goes crazy on his food. It's really cute.
I noticed that his shell is getting ripples on it around the edges. It is also getting darker. Is that a good sign?? when I got him his shell was very flat, almost glossy. Now I am starting to notice some ripples.
I am living in kazakhstan right now with him and I was wondering if I should make him hibernate. He seams to be in great shape. The winters here get really cold (can go down to -20 C). I also don't know if he is too thin or too fat. How heavy should a turtle be? I guess he weighs a little less than a rock his size. If I should make him hibernate, when should I do that? I have tried to go to the russian tortoise site but it is not working. Sorry for asking so many questions. I just want to make sure that Fred has a good life.

transtort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
jimmynm26 said:

Hi,
Forget the carrots and forget the dried food too.I think the kindest thing to do would be to re-home him to someone who can provide outdoor living areas.Russian torts are a burrowing species so a table top enclosure isnt really a good idea if hes farely big.He will get stressed out at not being able to dig down.They can burrow quite a few metres underground.How long have you had him/her?

Julie

transtort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
transtort said:
jimmynm26 said:

Hi,
Forget the carrots and forget the dried food too.I think the kindest thing to do would be to re-home him to someone who can provide outdoor living areas.Russian torts are a burrowing species so a table top enclosure isnt really a good idea if hes farely big.He will get stressed out at not being able to dig down.They can burrow quite a few metres underground.How long have you had him/her?

Julie
Can i also just say,that you dont know what other torts this Russian has come across while being captured.You wont be able to release him as you will be putting the other wild torts at risk,possibly through contamination.If you have been allowing the tort to roam on areas where a sick animal has been etc,then you will be allowing this tort to introduce disease to the wild population of torts.

Julie

Status
Not open for further replies.