Please help

snivloc16

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
Can someone identify this weed for me? IMG_1522943950.696663.jpgIMG_1522943972.692503.jpgThe leaves are prickly

Bambam1989

East Texas
I was actually leaning towards scotch or bull thistle. Sow thistle has "soft" spikes that don't really hurt.

Reactions: Tom

Bambam1989

East Texas
I have these aswell we had a pook and it grew and poked through tge thick liner ...

They are spread all over the yard. Is there away to eliminate then from growing? Or just pull them with the gloves?
If you want to get rid of them you have two options. The first is to laboriously dig each one up, making sure to get the roots and then disposing of them. The second is to get a herbicide spray that directly states that it will kill thistles. Spray each plant and wait. Remember that the area sprayed with herbicide will not be suitable for tort food harvest for some time(your herbicide should say how long before it's safe to allow grazing, I double this time to be extra safe)
Don't let the flowers fully develop.

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
If you want to get rid of them you have two options. The first is to laboriously dig each one up, making sure to get the roots and then disposing of them. The second is to get a herbicide spray that directly states that it will kill thistles. Spray each plant and wait. Remember that the area sprayed with herbicide will not be suitable for tort food harvest for some time(your herbicide should say how long before it's safe to allow grazing, I double this time to be extra safe)
Don't let the flowers fully develop.
Thank you very much, it said they are edible, I own a three-toed box turtle and my wife worries the thistles could harm him

Bambam1989

East Texas
Thank you very much, it said they are edible, I own a three-toed box turtle and my wife worries the thistles could harm him
Yes, I'm a little cautious with them. When I offer them to my tort I trim the longer spines off. It's time consuming but then I'm not so worried about it poking his eyes.

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
Yes, I'm a little cautious with them. When I offer them to my tort I trim the longer spines off. It's time consuming but then I'm not so worried about it poking his eyes.
Im going to be building him an outdoor enclosure, so ill just be sure to dig them out of the area he will be