Please identify this hatchling I found

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I found this hatchling today in the middle of a busy street in Burbank, California.
The only native species of turtle in this area is the Western Pond Turtle, but those are extremely rare, and this guy was found many miles away from any natural bodies of water. Any ideas on his species would be greatly appreciated.
hatchling.jpg

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I dont know.. but a bird could have carried him away and dropped him.. so dont put him in a tank full of water.. set him up like a box turtle for now with access to water... feed worms..

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Wow Shelly you're good to find something that small walking in a busy street. He is adorable. I guess you've got yourself a turtle now. :D

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I agree :) it's a Terrapene ornata. Pretty hard to tell subspecies at that size, but should be able to when it's around 4 inches.

Danny

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
Thanks for the help everybody. He will be turned over to somebody I know that has experience with Box Turtles. It never occurred to me that that is what it might be, or I would have contacted that person right off the bat. I should have expected that, with that pointy little nose, but I have little experience with Box Turtles or hatchlings of any kind. Thanks again everyone.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Good to see you back, John. Great find and lucky turtle!!

Status
Not open for further replies.