Ploughshare or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radiated Tortoise

5 Year Member
i was thinking of getting a ploughshare tortoise, should i get it or not. I currently have two radiated tortoises. I really want one though.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Get it if you are an experienced tortoise breeder and you are putting it into your well thought out, extensive, long term breeding program to save this HIGHLY endangered and very precious species from permanent extinction.

If you just want a nice pet, I think something that is not on the brink of extinction, poached and illegally smuggled out of the country of origin, might suit you better.

Radiated Tortoise

5 Year Member
Are the ploughshare tortoises very hard to care for...because i want to know as much about them as possible so i can think about purchasing.

cueboy007

5 Year Member
Ontario
Baby ploughshares are more vulnerable, once they reach a certain size, they get hardier.

As long as you are an experienced keeper, and you are able to provide them best care, why not.

Keep in mind though, radiateds and ploughshares grow up to 40cm in length, when they reach that size, you basically need a whole room at least 10' X 10', to keep them happy and healthy. And if given proper care, they'll probably outlive most of us. It's a long term commitment。

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
NOT! These animals are being poached from the wild. This IS the reason they are going to go extinct in the wild.
Why do you want to be part of the problem, not the solution?

So you want to poach the animals from the wild to save them?
Do explain how that works.

S

Scooter

NO, these tortoises need to stay in the wild or be in a breeding program to build their numbers back up, not kept as pets in someone home.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I know you feel like you are only one person and what kind of impact can one person have, but, if more people would refuse to purchase these illegally poached animals, we could cut down on the market for them and put the poachers out of business. Please don't do it.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
Scooter said:
NO, these tortoises need to stay in the wild or be in a breeding program to build their numbers back up, not kept as pets in someone home.

There is a breeding program for the species in their home range.
Theft of large numbers from this program supply the animals seen offered for sale.
Radiata suffers the same fate due directly to poaching.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
emysemys said:
I know you feel like you are only one person and what kind of impact can one person have, but, if more people would refuse to purchase these illegally poached animals, we could cut down on the market for them and put the poachers out of business. Please don't do it.

:D GREAT ADVICE :D

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
NO. I agree with everything Yvonne said. I personally would get absolutely no pleasure out of the fact that I helped contribute to the decline of these beautiful and endangered animals.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
No you should NOT!

There are only a handful of people who should be working with ploughshares.

Just concentrate on your radiateds. I have seen some of your posts and seems like you ask a lot of questions after you buy tortoises, instead of researching before you buy tortoises.

Ploughshares and radiateds, along with many other chelonian species, should not be kept just as a pet but also be a part of a breeding program since many wild populations are diminishing at an alarming rate.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Absolutely not. Ploughshares are one of the tortoises that are being rampantly poached and smuggled out of the wild. They've been teetering on the edge of extinction and buying one will not help. The only people who should own these tortoises are turtle conservasionists that are breeding the Angonka in their native range. It doesn't matter if it's captive bred or not. Buying=supporting smuggling.

Status
Not open for further replies.