pls help me to build my enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

-JM

5 Year Member
I don't know how big your tortoises are (and that's a big part of the size requirementss for their enclosure) but I just finished building an enclosure for my Russian.

http://tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Getting-set-up-for-my-new-tort-Feedback-please

^ here is the thread. I have several pictures. I used a large storage container I got from Target or Wal-Mart. I've heard that the plastic Christmas Tree boxes are good too. I used Coconut Coir for substrate, and then added some cheap plastic plants I got at a craft store. All around it was about 70 bucks because I had to buy stuff for the hides, etc. If they are going to be inside you will need to provide heat and UVB light at one end of the enclosure. They should have plenty of places to hide from each other and deep enough substrate to dig down.

I hope this was helpful!

Becki

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Albuquerque
I'm so glad you're going to give your tortoises a new enclosure! Can you get some scrap (untreated) wood or perhaps a child's plastic swimming pool? Use the substrates that have been suggested by others...a water dish....some plants and hides. It doesn't necessarily have to be pretty, it just needs to give your little guys everything they need. Good luck and let us know how it's going!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
With two torts you probably won't find a plastic storage container large enough unless you get a stock tank (like for watering livestock). Other option is to use wood and build a tortoise table (wood box). Look at feed stores for plastic or metal stock tanks (plastic will stay warmer). They may be able to order a different size for you. Or, you can order something online, but usually the shipping (freight) is as much as the stock tank.

How large are the torts? That can help us estimate how large of an enclosure you need.

If you go wood you can get the home improvement store to cut the boards to the right size for you (include the thickness in your measurements so they fit together correctly). You can use plywood, pine, or oak (not cedar). Plywood is the cheapest and oak is the nicest. I used pine as its a nice mid grade wood. You can use screws to put it together, or for a nicer look, use finishing nails with a tool to tap them in, and then cover the heads with a wood putty. I also put reinforcing angles inside mine. If you use a moist substrate like cypress mulch or an organic soil or coconut coir, you want to use a plastic liner like shower curtain, pond liner, or shower pan liner. With a dry substrate like aspen or whatever you can probably get away with no liner. Make sure to make the enclosure tall enough to have a nice deep substrate and so that even climbing on top of each other on top of any cage furnishings, the torts cannot get out. Higher than you need is fine because with a large enclosure there will still be enough air circulation even with the tall sides.

If there is any chance there are predators in the area on your balcony (like even a cat or whatever), then you can build a mesh lid in a wood frame to put over the top. What are the day and night temperatures like?

I like to use a slate tile to feed on. A plant saucer can make a great water dish. For hides you can use cardboard boxes, plastic containers, a plant pot on its side, fake plants, or even real plants if you buy organic or grow them from seeds.

If you give us a little more information I can give you more details. Good luck!

essawi

5 Year Member
Thx every one for ur replies
here are some pict

here are other pict

Here is my male tortoise

As i told u i wanna make something movable and easy to build

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think you can work with what you have. Get some boards, any old used lumber that is about 6" or more high. Even old plywood would work. cut it to fit across the area where the stools and brooms are. Then just add some substrate to the floor. Just put cypress mulch or orchid bark or something like that on the floor about 2" or so deep and spread all over the whole area. You might have to use the wood to block off in front of the door, I don't know how they open, if they slide or swing. Add some hiding places a waterer and a feeding tile and there ya go!

I'm sending good thoughts your way to help you figure out how to do it. And I'm proud of you for listening to the folks here on the forum and trying to change the way you take care of your tortoises. Good job!

essawi

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
I think you can work with what you have. Get some boards, any old used lumber that is about 6" or more high. Even old plywood would work. cut it to fit across the area where the stools and brooms are. Then just add some substrate to the floor. Just put cypress mulch or orchid bark or something like that on the floor about 2" or so deep and spread all over the whole area. You might have to use the wood to block off in front of the door, I don't know how they open, if they slide or swing. Add some hiding places a waterer and a feeding tile and there ya go!

I'm sending good thoughts your way to help you figure out how to do it. And I'm proud of you for listening to the folks here on the forum and trying to change the way you take care of your tortoises. Good job!
Thx a lot, i told u i wanna build a home that i can move to any place anytime
also to build it in easy way
Any ideas

Becki

5 Year Member
Albuquerque
If you build a box it's very easy to put casters on it and wheel it wherever you'd like it to be. I did that to an inexpensive IKEA end table and attached the box to the top of the table. Works great!

essawi

5 Year Member
Becki said:
If you build a box it's very easy to put casters on it and wheel it wherever you'd like it to be. I did that to an inexpensive IKEA end table and attached the box to the top of the table. Works great!

OK IT IS COOL
COULD U EXPLAIN TO ME HOW U BUILD IT WITH SOME PICT?

Becki

5 Year Member
Albuquerque
Sorry, I didn't take pictures when I was building it. Seems to me the easiest thing you could do is find an old bookcase....take out the shelves...lay it on it's side and attach plastic liner...add some casters...then you're good to go! I'm sure there are some pics of this somewhere on the forum. Anyone?

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
I only have 1 1.5yrs old Hermann so i converted 2 medium size storage tubs i placed then side by side cut off one side then cut a small arch into the other which i leave the lid on this way she as a warm basking spot in the open and a covered area too, u may beable to do something like this with bigger tubs and mayebe have 3 and have the covered one in the middle with a archway opening into the other two

samstar

5 Year Member
Why dont you buy a book shelf from Ikea, remove the shelfs, lie it down and you hasve your tortoise table to begin with which you can move around.

Neil

5 Year Member
essawi said:
any help by posting some pict?

I had the same problem of less space and wanted my enclosure to go places... :D

Built it finally with a ply wood sheet ! ... I basically nailed the pieces into a rectangular box of 5' * 2' * 1' ...:) .. Got a pair of revolving wheels on the bottom deck for the movement part :D ... u can check the pics in this thread :
http://tortoiseforum.org/Thread-New-Enclosure--184334

Skyler Nell

5 Year Member
Southern CA
IMG_1235.jpg

Here is a picture of my tortoise table. It is an old book case with the shelves taken out. I lined it with some plastic so its water proof. I made legs for the shelf out of some extra wood from an old desk and attached some furniture wheels so it can be rolled around. Best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.