Plz help! my babies showing bubbles

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyyoung749

5 Year Member
Hi ,guys i have two lepoard tortoises babies and one of lepoards are showing signs of runny nose. Sometimes he makes squeaky sounds and shows some bubbles. I always keep my temperature never lower than 80 degrees, but there was one time tem. dropped to like 77 and humidity 60. I always keep humid hide side humidity about 60 and temp. higher than 80. Right now i higher the temp. to 86-90 and humidity 40-50. Should i lower humidity or increases. If theres any better solution please help. Thank you.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Do you have a basking spot of 95-100? What kind of UVB are you using? The over all temp every place other than the basking spot should not go below 80-85. How is the activity? Eating, moving around, or not? What kind of substrate are you using? I ask these questions because the move we know the better someone can help:D

cyyoung749

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Do you have a basking spot of 95-100? What kind of UVB are you using? The over all temp every place other than the basking spot should not go below 80-85. How is the activity? Eating, moving around, or not? What kind of substrate are you using? I ask these questions because the move we know the better someone can help:D

i have basking spot of 95-100 and overall temp other than basking spot is 80-85 or higher. its eating well and active but not active as before. i use repti bark for substrate and reptisun 10.0 long uvb light.
i always kept humidity 60 in humid hide. should i keep the humidity at 60 or lower it. i also increased overall tem. to 87-90.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I use coconut coir. It holds moisture better than probably anything else and it won't mold either. You can also plant and grow seeds in it. Good all the way around. Humidity should be around at least 80-90 all over or at least in hide. I keep my leopard in two connected tubs. One tub is 90+ humidity while the other tub, where his food and water is kept is 60+ humidity. He spends most of his time in the higher humidity tub. Keep an I on him, keep him warm at all times, 80-85 day and night with 90-100 basking day only and let us know how he is doing. Good luck, hope he is fine and keep us updated:D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Please keep in mind, this may not just be a humidity issue. He may actually have an URI (Upper Respiratory Infection) and may need to be taken to a Vet for antibiotics. :(

Katherine

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Please keep in mind, this may not just be a humidity issue. He may actually have an URI (Upper Respiratory Infection) and may need to be taken to a Vet for antibiotics. :(

+1; while tortoise health issues often originate from husbandry issues it is important to address both simultaneously. If you are seeing bubbles, I would definitely visit the vet. In the meantime I would recommend increasing your temp and separating the one one with the sniffles from the tort who is not yet showing signs of illness. Anytime I have a sick tortoise I keep it warmer than usual, offer more warm water soaks than usual, and encourage eating any and everything their little hearts desire. I hope your little one gets better soon!

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Will you please take your tortoise to the vet this time??

Also, the reptibark is probably not the best choice and it probably would have been suggested prior to this that you use coco coir or soil or a combination to promote humidity and cut down on irritants, had you been willing to discuss your set up.

cyyoung749

5 Year Member
Thank you guys! Hes better now. Hes more active and doesnt make squeaky sound. Thanks!

Lulu said:
Will you please take your tortoise to the vet this time??

Also, the reptibark is probably not the best choice and it probably would have been suggested prior to this that you use coco coir or soil or a combination to promote humidity and cut down on irritants, had you been willing to discuss your set up.

I forgot to mention it, but i also use coco coir on humid hide for better humidity.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
what about bubbles or discharge from the nose?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Perhaps what you noticed was due to moisture from food or water? Or perhaps some other random thing.....just keep an eye on them and if they should have issues first check your set up and make sure all on target...:D

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Jacqui said:

+2.

Sounds like he will turn out OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.