Poison ivy EVERYWHERE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cally

5 Year Member
I have never seen so much poison ivy growing everywhere so much and fast than this year!
Helpful pictures-
ImageUploadedByTortForum1374090738.999386.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1374090749.093082.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1374090763.939892.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1374090784.214792.jpg
Its all around my flower beds, trees, around my dog fence- just everywhere!
Another helpful hint once you do have it, buy lava soap- its a green bar, and gritty. I have tried it and it worked! Use it in the shower and gently scrub the areas! It drys it out :) then apply finger nail polish remover afterwards all over the affected area in conjunction with rubbing alcohol - apply a good cortisone creme afterwards very lightly. It worked for me and a lot of other people i know :]

Cally- Russian Tort <3

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
I have been on a steady war against this for something like five years... and it's winning. :( It's the reason that now when doing all yardwork, except planting, I am wearing my gloves. When my youngest son was around and helping with some of the yard work it was nice, I react to poison ivy and he reacts to stinging nettles. Between us we could get the jobs done. :D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I just read yesterday about a member? ( I think I read it on here) using a type of flower that is tort safe, for stopping the itch of poison ivy. They rub it on them after touching it and it takes the itch away. Maybe Jaizei can find it for you two. :)

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I have gotten very good at stopping my hand from closing around or going into a patch of poison ivy. :D A case of practice makes perfect. :rolleyes: It's bad because I sweat a lot, so I am always rubbing my face off with my shirt sleeve or hand. I was getting swollen eyes constantly from mixing the p. ivy sap into my face.

*knocking on wood (Barb's head was handy :p )* so far this year, I have managed to avoid direct contact.

cally

5 Year Member
Rubs a flower on them self to take away the itch?

Cally- Russian Tort <3

oscar

10 Year Member!
Illinois
Poison ivy is so common in our area than it was years ago. In places the river bank is covered in it.
It thrives more with co2 which we have more of now and the increase of co2 has been associated with global warming. Also dandelions do much better with the increase.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I think this might be what Barb was referring to. Ken linked to an item on eBay and the description included the following [sic]: Very usefull where we live since I pull the poison ivy up by the roots & rub the plantain leaf mesh on my arms to prevent any ivy itching. Good bye poison ivy. When I forget to do the rub afterwards, days later I can apply Plantain to the affected spot and it removes the itch permenently. Broadleaf Plantain has the opposite chemical reaction of poison ivy making it a great treatment. Pick a few leaves, tear them in small bits, and roll them in your hands till it becomes a moist leaf mass. Rub moist leaf mass on poison ivy touched or affected skin.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
WOW, Jaizei your good. I can't believe it was from ebay and you found it. Thank you. I am amazed.:)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Man i with the plantain grew as fast as poison ivy .

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Cfr200

10 Year Member!
Springfield, Mo
I had it in my yard too, but luckly it does not bother me at all. I pulled it all out and still have a little but nothing too bad. When any of my friends find it in their yard I am the person they call to get rid of it. I just make sure that I take a nice long cold shower afterwards or else I have been known to cause other people to get it.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Are you kidding? Wasting good tortoise food on human rubbing??? Not in this house. :D

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Haha. poison Ivy. I had the short stick as a kid and still do of removing this for my mom. I have yet to have any sort of reaction to ivy, oak, and hemlock. Poison sumac though that gets me. Maybe I could charge people to come pull it out and get rid of it for people. I recall bleach working for some people. Doesn't make any sense to me since the reaction is an oil. I would imagine rubbing sand on the area would work.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
So we are all born immune to poison ivy. It's with repeated exposure that we develop an allergy.
What I've found works is to mix a 50/50 solution of white vinegar and water. Wipe your exposed areas down with this. The vinegar changes the chemical make up of the offending oil and renders it non threatening. Don't reuse the water the next day though. That didn't work for me.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Cowboy_Ken said:
So we are all born immune to poison ivy. It's with repeated exposure that we develop an allergy.
What I've found works is to mix a 50/50 solution of white vinegar and water. Wipe your exposed areas down with this. The vinegar changes the chemical make up of the offending oil and renders it non threatening. Don't reuse the water the next day though. That didn't work for me.

I tried using vinegar (just because I use it for so many things like sunburns) and it didn't help. Glad it worked for you, as its a nice cheap and handy tool to use.

tortadise said:
I would imagine rubbing sand on the area would work.

I would think sand would break the blistery spots.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
At this property, we don't have much poison ivy. What I've found, I can just cover the cut end with a tin can. The plant just keeps growing and growing and can't find light, so it dies.

Jacqui truest is amazing. Here she's talking about poison ivy, and in another thread, she's talking about blood.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
wellington said:
I just read yesterday about a member? ( I think I read it on here) using a type of flower that is tort safe, for stopping the itch of poison ivy. They rub it on them after touching it and it takes the itch away. Maybe Jaizei can find it for you two. :)
The plant is jewel weed . It is often found growing in the same area as poison ivy. I can't say how effective it is as I avoid poison ivy like the plague but have seen it in same area.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Jacqui said:
Cowboy_Ken said:

I tried using vinegar (just because I use it for so many things like sunburns) and it didn't help. Glad it worked for you, as its a nice cheap and handy tool to use.

tortadise said:
I would imagine rubbing sand on the area would work.

I would think sand would break the blistery spots.

It blisters? Man that does sound like it sucks. I thought It just got red and itchy.

Status
Not open for further replies.