Police Officer/ Avid Reptile Enthusiast

jmusick138889

Location (City and/or State)
Decatur, IL
Hello all!

I am new to this forum and pretty excited to see all of the activity! As the title says, I'm a Police Officer in the lovely city of Decatur, Illinois. Since i can remember, I was neck deep in retention ponds and run off ditches trying to get my hands on anything slimy and scaly within reach. That obsession turned into more once I was old enough to actually appreciate and enjoy our rept/ amph friends. My lady friend and I began our tortoise journey together and it has flourished into something beautiful! We now house 5 tortoises in 3 8ftx4ft tortoise tables and have a 15ftx15ft outdoor enclosure equipped with a baby pin as well. All of my life reptile always fell onto the pet list but never a tortoise. I have done a lot with most native box species but was excited to get the chance broaden my horizons and it has been nothing short of bliss! Hope to hear from you all and happy "herpin'"

Jake

jmusick138889

Decatur, IL
Welcome to the Forum, Jake! Looks like you've got a nice, big piece of property there. I see many more tortoise yards in your future.
I plan to build a self sustaining tortoise house equipped with a wood furnace and several outdoor enclosures attached

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome to the forum. I like your tortoise table and outdoor enclosure. I wish I can have 1/3 of your lot. Looking forward to see more picture of your torts and enclosure.

jmusick138889

Decatur, IL
Hello and Welcome to the forum. I like your tortoise table and outdoor enclosure. I wish I can have 1/3 of your lot. Looking forward to see more picture of your torts and enclosure.
I have about 2 acres here, its a bit different then Cali land! lol Will continue to post. Didnt even know tortoiseforum existed

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place for all the information you may need. Check out all the different sections. There's a lot here. And Lot's of great people.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Howdy Jake and welcome to the forum. Well done wishing Yvonne a happy birthday in your first thread. She is a lady well worth knowing what with her extensive knowledge of tortoises and turtles and what they can eat and temp required for pert-near every species of tortoise or turtle. We're all a pretty good group of folks here. Heck, I consider some my family. Cruise the site, bookmark the threads you want to get back to, and above all, ask questions if you have them.
Here's something I feel remiss for not mentioning to all newcomers. There is as well as the computer version, an app for the forum. Got a smart phone? Down load the app and it's always with you. Just don't get distracted while at work, we all count on you regardless of the part of the country we live!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
That's a good point Ken, I use the app all the time. I love it. But yes it is very addictive and hard to stay away from even at work. So maybe you better not use the app :)

Hi, I'm new here too. Nice work on the pens. I, too, am jealous of the acreage, but in a supportive way.
Welcome.

jmusick138889

Decatur, IL
Howdy Jake and welcome to the forum. Well done wishing Yvonne a happy birthday in your first thread. She is a lady well worth knowing what with her extensive knowledge of tortoises and turtles and what they can eat and temp required for pert-near every species of tortoise or turtle. We're all a pretty good group of folks here. Heck, I consider some my family. Cruise the site, bookmark the threads you want to get back to, and above all, ask questions if you have them.
Here's something I feel remiss for not mentioning to all newcomers. There is as well as the computer version, an app for the forum. Got a smart phone? Down load the app and it's always with you. Just don't get distracted while at work, we all count on you regardless of the part of the country we live!
Thanks Ken, Actually went on and downloaded the app after I read this message. Seems like everyone is quite squared away on here! Nice to see such dedication and hardwork on the part of the "salty dogs" of the group. Not to worry, tortoise research doesn't fall under "official duty" so you can believe my head is on straight out there!