Pond surprise of the day!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chester County, PA
Everyday it's always something new, but today is special because I put this bird with nest decor out and look who decided to sit in it LOL!!!! IMG_2045.JPG
...AND check out this other green guy? What species is he?IMG_2047.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
wellington said:
Great pics. Cute guest. Don't know what kind. I would guess a bullfrog.

I heard the green frogs are endangered now-- and I'm thrilled to have them. BUT I also heard that bullfrogs are invasive -- taking over the green frog territory. Funny- there are three green frogs in the pond today watching Mr. Bullfrog LOL!!!

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
JoesMum said:
The first one is a Green Frog... and the second is a Bullfrog

The PA herps website has a good frog identification page! :)

Thank you!! This is the best site. I haven't found one this good. I LOVE the sounds. Now I do know for sure- the green frogs 'sing' at night "Bud-wei-ser"...as they get close to the water and once they jump in they make the sound on the site. The bull frog is new (TODAY)...so this should be interesting. Thank you for sharing this site!!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Build it.. and they shall come!

SailingMystic said:
Everyday it's always something new, but today is special because I put this bird with nest decor out and look who decided to sit in it LOL!!!!
...AND check out this other green guy? What species is he?

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    782.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 10

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Great pictures. The bull frog sitting on the water hyacinth is the kind I had in my turtle pond. We used to find loads of eggs every Summer, and the turtles would have a feast. Many survived and they were all over the pond. They were so loud, that I couldn't keep my bedroom window open at night.

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
Laura said:
Build it.. and they shall come!

Awesome :)!!

terryo said:
Great pictures. The bull frog sitting on the water hyacinth is the kind I had in my turtle pond. We used to find loads of eggs every Summer, and the turtles would have a feast. Many survived and they were all over the pond. They were so loud, that I couldn't keep my bedroom window open at night.

I love that sound! The first time it happened we had friends over and we were sitting outside-- then the pond "started talking"-- we all jumped up in surprise at how loud the frogs can get. I heard only the males make noise and then the female decides who she wants to date. We have a lot of females so it's quiet most of the time. The guys are here now though lol!!

Status
Not open for further replies.