POOP EATERS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kendallllmcd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
TEXASSSS
okkk so i posted about my tortoises eating too much and i started to not give them aas much lettuce and let them walk around in my backyard more and eat grass but they wont eat the grass! they go straight to my dogs old pooooop! ahhh lol its gross but they attack it when they finally find some
they seem to love it hahahahha its so gross
i throw it far away when i see them eating it
so does this mean they smell dog food in it?
should i give them a little dog food?
the sulcata i had before loved dog food and tried to eat it alllll the time
when i tried to offer a little peice to my new ones they didnt waant any part of it
so what does this pooop eating mean?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Sulcata's tend to eat pop I try to pick up all poop to avoid them eating it, dog poop is not good and it should be avoided! I would not offer dog food either, it's one thing if they happen to find a piece and eat it but definitly not part of the diet..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kendall:

Instead of tossing the dog poop far away, toss it in the garbage. Its not good for tortoises to eat recycled dog food...too much protein, plus sulcatas don't eat meat. Also, if you ever give your dogs de-worming medicine, you might poison the tortoises if they eat the poop. So, get your shovel and pick up that poop. Put it in a hole and cover it up...or put it in the garbage. Your neighbors will thank you for it! :D

Zouave

5 Year Member
Toronto
Don't let them eat poop. :|

Or dog food, not good.

:|

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You need to build them their own dedicated pen and keep the dog out of it. While we're on the subject, don't ever trust your dog(s) unsupervised with access to your tortoises. Everyone whose tortoise has been killed or mauled by their dog did NOT think their dog would do that. The first thing out of their mouth is usually something like, "Oh my god. He's never done THAT before." Well of course! NO dog has ever done that before, until the first day they DO it.

I mean you no insult, but I'd rather sound like a jackass and offer unsolicited dog/tortoise advice than have to hear another tragic "my dog chewed up my tortoise" story.

And, no, you should not give them dog food OR let them eat any more dog poop.

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
Tom said:
You need to build them their own dedicated pen and keep the dog out of it. While we're on the subject, don't ever trust your dog(s) unsupervised with access to your tortoises. Everyone whose tortoise has been killed or mauled by their dog did NOT think their dog would do that. The first thing out of their mouth is usually something like, "Oh my god. He's never done THAT before." Well of course! NO dog has ever done that before, until the first day they DO it.

I mean you no insult, but I'd rather sound like a jackass and offer unsolicited dog/tortoise advice than have to hear another tragic "my dog chewed up my tortoise" story.

And, no, you should not give them dog food OR let them eat any more dog poop.

I agree with this one. While they are trusting when supervised... when you are not looking they will do their own thing. That and clean up the poop! As stated no dog food either.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Ditto Tom...
They need their OWN space.. safer, cant loose them, and they will feel more secure. Stress when they are young, is very harmful.

tczar

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
el paso tx
silo would eat it the first couple of years if he beat the shovel to it, but alas he lost the taste for it, i think he got a whiff of his breath!!

kendallllmcd

5 Year Member
TEXASSSS
tczar said:
silo would eat it the first couple of years if he beat the shovel to it, but alas he lost the taste for it, i think he got a whiff of his breath!!

hahhahaahaa that willl work

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Everything Was Mentioned Alrready, Both Are Bad!
He Its A Great Idea For There Own pen, All Decorated With Edible Plants

tczar

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
el paso tx
Jacob said:
Everything Was Mentioned Alrready, Both Are Bad!
He Its A Great Idea For There Own pen, All Decorated With Edible Plants

i would have to live in a jungle, edible plants would last a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.