ISO Aldabra or Galapagos tort

Caylipessin

Location (City and/or State)
Lago Vista, Tx
Hey there! I am in search of adopting or purchasing either an Aldabra or Galapagos tort. I am experienced tortoise keeper with a colony of sulcatas and I just purchased 40 acres and would like a larger species to join my collection. (Obviously in very separate areas of the property)
Please let me know if you hear of any available.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
An aldabra would be much easier to find as you can buy from anyone. A few good breeders in Florida, and some import and sell that are good. Galapagos have to be from someone who bred it in your state. There are 2 that I know of off hand. I believe Jerry Fife is now producing them again. Check some forum groups online.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I should add - I am not recommending buying from a breeder off craigslist, always much better to go to a breeder whose reputation you know and this group could attest to.

But you may be able to find a rescue on CL, it has happened before. THough mostly its people just trying to make a buck because they see they are "expensive"

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Honestly I see alabra's on CL with shocking regularity. I think I just saw one the other day I'll see if i can find it:

Missouri : https://stlouis.craigslist.org/for/d/saint-louis-aldabra-tortoise/7745301817.html
Yeah there are usually aldabras available here and there but never seen them for adoption.
Usually I think people get them just to raise them up a few years so they can double or triple their money. They go up about two thousand about every 2-4 inches of growth it seems.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have seen on this forum once someone trying to rehome so I’m just shooting my shot before purchasing one.
Yes, a while back there was one, but it wasn't for free if it's the same one I know of. Another member purchased that one.