Poor baby today

Jenblalock003

There's this local pet store here in Louisiana. I went a few weeks ago to get more coconut coir and in the back (idk if I was supposed to be on that section or not) was a tortoise. I knew it was a sulcata but I thought to ask the young store managers anyways. He indeed said it was a sulcata. I was also buying another hydrometer in which I asked the guy how accurate it was. I told him I had 2 baby sulcatas. He asked me what I needed that for. I said "well I want to make sure the humidity is kept high". He said no need just soak them. I then asked what the sulcatas name was and he said he didn't have a name. This baby was 4 years old, way bigger than my purse (which is huge btw) and in no more than a 55 gallon tank. I felt so bad for him. I tried talking to him and he didn't move at all. I'm so thankful for this forum. I appreciate all the advice. My babies wouldn't be as healthy and active without everyone on here. I have def found a new love for tortoises. Thank you all! Here's a pic of the poor thing. He didn't really even have room to turn around.

Here's s pic of the little guy

Jen

Jenblalock003 said:
There's this local pet store here in Louisiana. I went a few weeks ago to get more coconut coir and in the back (idk if I was supposed to be on that section or not) was a tortoise. I knew it was a sulcata but I thought to ask the young store managers anyways. He indeed said it was a sulcata. I was also buying another hydrometer in which I asked the guy how accurate it was. I told him I had 2 baby sulcatas. He asked me what I needed that for. I said "well I want to make sure the humidity is kept high". He said no need just soak them. I then asked what the sulcatas name was and he said he didn't have a name. This baby was 4 years old, way bigger than my purse (which is huge btw) and in no more than a 55 gallon tank. I felt so bad for him. I tried talking to him and he didn't move at all. I'm so thankful for this forum. I appreciate all the advice. My babies wouldn't be as healthy and active without everyone on here. I have def found a new love for tortoises. Thank you all! Here's a pic of the poor thing. He didn't really even have room to turn around.

Here's s pic of the little guy

Jen

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 241

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
But, now you should print out Toms care sheet and a picture of a smooth sully. Bring it to that persona and let them know this is how Sullies should be raised now. Then let them know, that even thought theirs is too big for the hatchling style care, that theirs would still be edit for a humid hide, proper substrate, and some room to actually move. Be as nice as possible do they will listen. Also let them know about the forum. Maybe even ask if they would be willing to rehome their sully to someone that has the proper room. Remember, that poor tortoise can not speak for himself. If us humans don't speak up for them, we are no better then the ones giving the poor, neglectful care.

Jenblalock003

wellington said:
But, now you should print out Toms care sheet and a picture of a smooth sully. Bring it to that persona and let them know this is how Sullies should be raised now. Then let them know, that even thought theirs is too big for the hatchling style care, that theirs would still be edit for a humid hide, proper substrate, and some room to actually move. Be as nice as possible do they will listen. Also let them know about the forum. Maybe even ask if they would be willing to rehome their sully to someone that has the proper room. Remember, that poor tortoise can not speak for himself. If us humans don't speak up for them, we are no better then the ones giving the poor, neglectful care.

You know what? That's exactly what I'll do. I'd steal him if I could lol. But I will bc my heart breaks seeing that.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Good for you. Then too, you will feel better that you tried. Don't steal him, but maybe even offer to help them get a bigger enclosure and better setup. You know, they pay for it, but offer to help in getting it set up right, etc.

oneeyedClyde

Me too... I said something to the folks at Jefferson feed this past week about their baby tort

Jenblalock003

oneeyedClyde said:
Me too... I said something to the folks at Jefferson feed this past week about their baby tort

I was there and saw those 2 babies! It's so dry in there. And they even have a sign saying they can flip themselves over. I went to 50 Fathoms on Veterans...that's where the 4 year old was :(

oneeyedClyde

There was only one sulcata baby at Jefferson on Thursday. I told two puerile that it needed water. And that sign made me mad! It basically said not to bother the staff if it had flipped on its back.

Jenblalock003

oneeyedClyde said:
There was only one sulcata baby at Jefferson on Thursday. I told two puerile that it needed water. And that sign made me mad! It basically said not to bother the staff if it had flipped on its back.

Yea I went like 5 weeks ago so they prob sold one of them. I hope they listened to you though. If you ever are on Veterans go to 50 Fathoms by Rouses. I'm going to go talk to them about that 4 year being locked up in that small cage. Heart breaking.

Jenblalock003

oneeyedClyde said:
I've never been there.... is the 4 year old up for sale?

You know I'm not sure. I've only been there 3 times. I saw him the second time I was there but wasn't in the normal part of the store. If you go, walk in the door, go straight (like you are going into the reptile room) then look right and you will see him on the ground In a tank. I don't really like any of those ppl working there so I never asked. I only sply said one time that the guy needs to be able to walk around. He doesn't have a name so I'm assuming he's for sale. If you can, go check it out and let me know what you think.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think I was in that store back in 2007. 50 Fathoms. That sure sounds familiar. I think that is the one that had one smooth sulcata in the front on the counter and one pyramided one in the back in the reptile section. At that time one of the kids who worked there said his uncle was a local breeder and raised them outside. That was the source of the smooth one. The pyramided one in the reptile section was half the size and housed on rabbit pellets with a hot bulb. They were clutchmates. The uncle sold the, the pyramided one right away, but had been raising the smooth one himself outdoors in the New Orleans climate. I'll bet its that same one and they are just a little off in the age.

That was one of the experiences that helped me put together the whole pyramiding/humidity/hydration thing.

Can you snap a pic of the front of the store next time you are there so I can be sure its the same one. I went to several of them. There was another one that was smaller and not in a strip mall. The kids working at that one didn't even know what pyramiding was.

Jenblalock003

Tom said:
I think I was in that store back in 2007. 50 Fathoms. That sure sounds familiar. I think that is the one that had one smooth sulcata in the front on the counter and one pyramided one in the back in the reptile section. At that time one of the kids who worked there said his uncle was a local breeder and raised them outside. That was the source of the smooth one. The pyramided one in the reptile section was half the size and housed on rabbit pellets with a hot bulb. They were clutchmates. The uncle sold the, the pyramided one right away, but had been raising the smooth one himself outdoors in the New Orleans climate. I'll bet its that same one and they are just a little off in the age.

That was one of the experiences that helped me put together the whole pyramiding/humidity/hydration thing.

Can you snap a pic of the front of the store next time you are there so I can be sure its the same one. I went to several of them. There was another one that was smaller and not in a strip mall. The kids working at that one didn't even know what pyramiding was.

I sure will Tom! I'm leaving for Biloxi for 2 days and as soon as I get bk I'll drive straight there and take a few pics!