Poor tortoise was run over by a car. :(

Lauren Tilbury

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Huntington Beach, California
I live in Southern California. Today was a beautiful day. We decided to take our convertible out and go for a drive to a place called Lemon Heights. It's beautiful Windy roads, gorgeous homes. Great place to go for a drive.
We were coming around a curve and I looked down on the street. I said to my Husband "Was that a turtle"? He said, "I think so." We backed up, it was a very dangerous place to stop, but we did it anyway. It was a tortoise that had been hit. It was awful. I picked him up as carefully as possible. His shell was completely cracked and blood on the bottom. I'm not sure he was still alive. We were going to take him to the vet. I believe that the people that lived above us probably owned it.
I was so upset I just started sobbing. That poor little baby. I am just heartbroken. I was telling my husband, if we were there a little sooner, we probably could have saved it from this horrible death. I went on Facebook to see if there was a local page for this area, but there was nothing.
I feel so guilty leaving it there that I just about can't stand it.
How could anybody hit this beautiful little creature and leave him to die. I'll never figure people out.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think you can rest easy. If the road is as hazardous as you say, then chances are whoever did the deed didn't even see the tortoise or know they hit it.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Welcome to the forum.

Was saddened to read your post. Too bad..

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Good to be reminded that there are human beings like you on this planet!

Peliroja32

Biloxi, Mississippi
Im so sorry to hear this. I had a similar ordeal a few weeks ago at a house we were doing the regular garden weeding and such. Wont go into much detail but she was a lovely box turtle we saw every time we were there and well the doctor was in a rush to leave :( i still feel sad every time i think about her

N

no one

So sad... I always hate it when I see a poor animal that has been hit by a car. Happens way to many times in my opinion. I really don't like people in those moments.