Possible constipation

Timothy C

5 Year Member
I have two Hermans tortoises. One of them seems to struggle to poo. He keeps sitting with his rear end in the air but nothing happens. I have tried bathing about 2 times a day in warm water and there hasn't been any changes.

It's been about a week now. Is there anything else I should be trying?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
What size are they?
Do they live together?
What do you typically feed them?

Timothy C

5 Year Member
They are about 4-5 inches long from memory. They live together and typically eat greens, dandelions and clover with the occasional bit of fruit.
I forgot to mention I've already tried cucumber.

Kasia

Poland
I have two Hermans tortoises. One of them seems to struggle to poo. He keeps sitting with his rear end in the air but nothing happens. I have tried bathing about 2 times a day in warm water and there hasn't been any changes.

It's been about a week now. Is there anything else I should be trying?
You can leave him in the bath for an hour or so just watch the water temperature, my both torts like to have a bowl movement on the way to the Vet's while the car is moving I always have a fresh stool sample...:) You can try to go for a ride. Keep a close eye on him. Straining might end up with a prolapse and poop not coming out might be a bladder stone or something big that he accidently ingested.

Aaa and did you noticed while he is straining that maybe something little pinkish, penis-like is sticking out? 5 inches is probably enough to show some male features. Just crossed my mind....

Last edited:

Bee62

Germany
When the tort is still eating you can make some sunflower- or olive oil about the food.
The oil is good against constipation.

Timothy C

5 Year Member
Hi all,

Thanks for the advice. After a few weeks he got better (after olive oil on food).

However, about a couple of months ago, the problem came back. I think it was caused by him eating too much grass when outside, even though they have plenty of food.

Anyway, I have been using the same techniques as before, but not made much progress. My intent was to hibernate them both this time of year. However, I'm not sure if he is still constipated. He keeps sitting like he is straining, but I've only seen stools once, out of 4-5 weeks of 2 baths a day. When he did go, there wasn't any grass in his poo, there was quite a bit before. I'm not sure if I'm being paranoid or if there's an actual problem. He is still eating fine (though I was planning on winding them down for hibernation in the next few days), and maybe he's pooing in their cage and I'm not noticing.

I assume if he is still constipated I should not attempt to hibernate him. Maybe I should take him to the vets to get a second opinion?

Bambam1989

East Texas
I may be wrong, but eating grass is not going to cause constipation. It's got quite a bit of fiber in it. If this is a recurring issue then I would consider his substrate, what kind are you using? When outside, could he be eating rocks? Have you inspected his previous poops to see if it feels gritty or hard?

Timothy C

5 Year Member
They have shredded paper bedding. They don't have access to stones that are small enough for them to eat. The previous poos didn't seem any different to normal.

I've been bathing him loads and I haven't noticed him straining over the past 2-3 weeks. Is it safe to think he is now ok?
I have stopped feeding them and they are due to hibernate soon.

Bambam1989

East Texas
They have shredded paper bedding. They don't have access to stones that are small enough for them to eat. The previous poos didn't seem any different to normal.

I've been bathing him loads and I haven't noticed him straining over the past 2-3 weeks. Is it safe to think he is now ok?
I have stopped feeding them and they are due to hibernate soon.
I would get rid of the paper bedding, it could be part of the problem. Orchid bark, fir bark, and coco coir are what most members here use.